MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Custom Projects

Custom Projects A place to meet for special project threads.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:32 PM
Skilled

Ok, I couldn't stand to put it aside. I decided to go simple on the Handle. The original handle had 8 pieces. This one has 3.

And I'm all but done.

Last edited by ricky_arthur; 03-09-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:22 AM
Master

That handle looks good but the last one was really cool! To bad that it cracked on you.

Have we decided what method we are going to use for choosing who gets what knife? I was thinking about Rays method a little more and I'm starting to think that it might be a good plan.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:57 PM
Steel Addict

pics off 36'' wheel seems to work good ground 3 blades no problem I can feel the differance

Last edited by fuzzy; 04-01-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
pics off 36'' wheel seems to work good ground 3 blades no problem I can feel the differance
Ahh, now I see. It is a platen tool. Seems like it would make a very subtle hollow grind. Good Idea.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:35 AM

Metal99, I was thinking of using cocobolo for my handle also, in scale form, but for diversity's sake I might go with wenge instead... not sure yet.

I know I'm new here, but I have to give my take on people's concerns regarding making a good quality knife and having a lesser one given to them in exchange:

Do people actually do that in a KITH? Would someone actually put garbage into it in the hopes of getting something nice in return? I'd be very worried that my reputation as a (albeit very new) knife maker would be tarnished if not ruined by that kind of behavior.

I know the quality of my work won't compare with that of a lot of the good makers in this forum, but I'm going to do my best and hopefully make something I'm proud to give away, hopefully learn something in the process, and hopefully get a nice blade from someone else that I can also learn from.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Master

Ryano, I haven't personally seen a situation where somebody has just slapped together a blade to throw into a KITH but I have heard of some people getting burned over the years. There's all kinds of people out there and not everyone cares about a reputation. I know I really care about mine so if I'm not happy with a knife I try to make it right.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:32 PM

Well, finally got started on this project.
Got sidetracked... Was informed by my wife that I had to build a bookcase/cabinet before I could start another knife project.

Finished that woodworking project enought that I was able to spend today cutting out the blade profiles and bagning them down to thickness. I ordered W2 for this project and could only find it in a too thick barstock (5/16"). Thus the forging project today. Started the bevels and the distill taper while I was forging down the thickness.

Here's a photo of the 2 blades and my design. I am home a few days this week while the kids are off for spring break. Should be able to make some real progress in the next 2 days.

FYI - until I get more confident with heat treating, I am making 2 blades per project. This will be my 4th heat treat. The last 2 went well but I am still feeling the pain of the first project where the blades cracked.

Barry

Last edited by BfrancioS; 03-17-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:30 AM
Skilled

Looks good Barry, those should come out nice.

How is everyone else plugging along?

Progress pics?
Old 03-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Master

I'm just trying to get a couple more blades ready for heat treating and then I can giver on the little scrapper

Old 03-20-2013, 07:48 AM
Steel Addict

I just got the forge work done on the two Kukris I'm doing for this contest.
Got the profiles roughly in shape. Did slightly different geometry for each to see what feels 'right', the better of the two will be the one that goes into the KITH.

I've also got to tweak where the tang is going to be, didn't forge it far enough up.

Last edited by Imakethings; 03-20-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:28 AM

Hey, I only managed to remember to take one picture before I sent mine off for heat treat. I am also making 2 for this KITH, and submitting the best of the pair. If they both turn out well I might give the recipient their choice.

They're 1095 steel, targeting RC 60, and I'm very happy with the design of them so far. I chose the finger ring for a simple reason: I don't have any experience with any guards or quillons yet and I didn't want to mess up.

-ryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OlyWar.jpg (376.2 KB, 34 views)
Old 03-21-2013, 11:41 AM
Skilled

Looks good Ryan, scandi grind? I would be worried if someone pulled that out on me so You are on the right track.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:10 PM

Ricky,

Yes it's a scandi grind - I've been practicing hollow grinds but I'm not good or consistent enough with them yet for this project.

The original design I had was less of a bowie and more of a scimitar. I'm going to hang onto it for something down the road, but it wasn't quite right for this.

On a side note, this and the beginner KITH going on right now are the first ones I've been involved in. Without this for inspiration I don't think I would ever have come up with this design. The reason I bring that up is because of the 5 current designs I have shown to people and given out for field testing, this one has the most excitement so far!

I'm going to try to get in on as many KITHs as I can because of that!
Old 03-21-2013, 07:42 PM
Steel Addict

would you carry this to a knife fight?

Last edited by fuzzy; 04-01-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:28 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
would you carry this to a knife fight?
If I was gonna sneak up behind and insert it into a kidney. Then Yes.

Tags
1095, 5160, 550, apply, bee, blade, choose, common, damascus, folding knife, forge, guard, hamon, iron, knife, knives, made, pitch, pocket, pocket knife, post, simple, steel, throw, what kind