MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Old 01-10-2008, 02:45 PM

Shahid, thanks for posting your true handmade knives. I will leave the American semantic bickering over the term 'customs' for another thread. It's generic, like it or not.

They are worthy pieces. Not the best I have seen on this forum, but certainly NOT the worst either. Are they worth $5000? Of course not. I think you were posting this figure in defense, and not in reality. If that is your price, you will be hard pressed finding buyers.

Armory414 gave you some decent appraisal on your work. If you are dead serious on breaking into the US market, you should pay attention to comments.

I know you feel you are at a disadvantage being from Pakistan. The US is not going to embrace the Middle East nowadays, so let's all simply keep the topic confined to knives and we will all learn.

Obviously the products on that site are inexpensive and not for the educated knife consumer or user. They do serve a purpose, or you wouldn't be successful. Good for you.

Guys: Water will find it's own level.

Thanks,

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 01-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Skilled

I just read this thread from start to finish for the first time. Wow! It kind of reminds me of the gunfighter that fires his pistol before it clears leather.

Shahid this is really a good forum for posting pictures of your knives and getting some very good feedback about what people see. It looks to me from the pictures that you are well on your way to making a good knife. Some very valid recomendations were given about what most collectors in the US expect to see in a handmade knife and I hope that it was well received. I think that including good pictures with descriptions of materials used and dimentions is important to getting good information back on the quality of work being presented. People also like to know what steel the damascus is made of and if it was forged by the maker. Fit and finish is very important in a handmade knife and the pictures should show it to its advantage.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I need to step in here and offer an apology for my previous comments. I did jump the gun when I saw the website, and ASSUMED we had another instance of mass produced imports being pawned off as customs..... once bitten, twice shy.

As has been mentioned, US buyer are very well educated on their knives, and the more information on the knives you can offer, including the steels used in the damascus, and even the heat treating methodlogy, the better your chances for selling them. Concerning the price, I think your a few thousand too high. In order to sell in the US, people will have to get to know you and your knives, and develop a level of trust before they would ever drop that kind of money on a knife.

The comments made on the fit/finish of the knives should be taken as constructive.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 01-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Hall of Famer

Shahid,

I hope you take a look around at this forum, and look at the variety of discussions going on here. We bring up a variety of topics regarding hand made knives--from ways to make tools, forging, stock removal, sheath making, to fine embellishment. Look especially at the way in which we define "custom" and "hand made" with respect to knife making. I think, after looking at the various topics that are addressed here, that you will agree that this is not the place to sell the mass produced knives you included in your link.

The knives you showed in your photos are very nice. I hope you will join us in the lively discussions here about custom knifemaking, ask questions about the techniques that the makers here use in the creation of their hand made knives, and share some of your knifemaking tips to the makers here as well. We have participants in this forum not just from the United States, but from all over Europe, Australia, and South America. We would welcome a custom knife maker from Pakistan who could contribute to our desire to learn about this craft.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

The pictures certainly helped to communicate your ability to make non-mass produced knives. I also hope you take the criticism as constructive.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Banned

Armory, Texas, Ed Caffrey, and all thanks a lot for your reply and Armory many thanks for your comments and corrections and telling me the problems and giving me tips sir i will solve these problems, i don't know my knives will sale on this forum or not but i am sure i will learn a lot of new things from this forum now i am posting some more my hand made custom knives pictures for showing you actually i am making Damascus since from 2 years and i have many designs and styles in my show room i made Damascus by my self i done file work also just buy bross from market and stag out of country, gentlemen we don't have that type of stuff which one u have in your countries like machinery like steel like oak wood many more but i am finding these stuff and trying done Extra Ordinary knife pray for me may Allah helped me and give me success, let me tell u about my Damascus i am using 1095 and 15N20 forge welded steel in my Damascus 576 layers my Damascus steel having high carbon and nickel contents, giving superb edge holding and cutting abilities, and edge holding with the HRC of the blade exceeding 60, original sheep leather sheath. and i made sheaths also by my own hands.
waiting ur kindest replies
Best regards,
Shahid Jalil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (112.6 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 4.JPG (111.0 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 9.JPG (63.4 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (184.5 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 13.JPG (142.1 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by Colectableknive; 01-11-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Hall of Famer

Shahid--those knives look very nice. Your sheath work shows good skill, but in my opinion does not meet the quality and the overall look of the knives. As you say, you may be limited by some of the materials you have available to you. But as an example, take a look at the forums for Sheath Making and the Sheath Gallery. There are some fine examples of sheaths and leather work, and some of the people there I am sure would be happy to give you suggestions for improving yours.

For example, your sheaths appear to lack a welt--an extra piece of leather in between the outer layers--that protects the stitching from the edge of the blade so that the knife does not cut them. You may also find that staining the leather may add a decorative touch that enhances the overall look of your knife and sheath together. While you may not have some leather dyes available to you, check out the "Sticky" in the sheath making forum about "Alternative Dyes" using some simple ingredients that would likely be available in many areas.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:40 AM

Shahid,

Your welcome to the forums has been a rough one. As Ed pointed out, we have had many of your countrymen mistake these forums as a venue to sell a great deal of junk. If this reflects on you, that's unfortunate, since your CUSTOMS are quite nice and very much on par with many seen herein.

It sounds like you use good steels for you damascus as well, thanks for clearing that up.

If I may, Nathan was correct about your sheaths. They are far below the quality of your knives. They resemble sheaths sold as kits to young boys in our Boy Scout program to assemble by hand. The beauty of your knives deserves better. I suggest that you strike a deal with a good sheathmaker, perhaps one found here on these forums, who makes sheaths full time and for very good prices. This move would vastly increase the selling value of your knife/sheath packages and go a long way to earning you some respect and credibility here in these forums.

If you want to learn leather work that equals your knives and more, there are great videos which can be purchased in these forums. Chuck Burrows is a master and has such a video which will teach you a great deal.

In the end, you should decide what your goals are. If you want to take your place along side very accomplished makers and those of us who aspire to become one someday, them humble yourself and participate in these forums as a student of the art. You will be welcomed. You first introduction was to ask for thousands of dollars for knives worth far less than that in this market. I hope you can understand how that affected the welcome you received.

Don't be offended my friend. Be inspired! Come learn with us and you will be happy you did. These are good and kind folks here and you, like me, will learn plenty from their generous knowledge.

Best wishes.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."

Tags
awesome, blade, cancer, custom, forge, forging, hunting, knife, knife making, knives, military, mount