MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Old 07-12-2005, 03:21 PM
Registered

A Truly Amazing Knifemaker

Just to let you collectors out there know, if you haven't yet heard of PJ Ernest, your missing out. This guy is amazing. I recently bought one of knives, and I am awestruck by every aspect of it. He's a fairly new maker and only recently started taking orders from the public. Heres his site : http://www.ernestcustomknives.com/main.html
His prices are still incredibly low for the work he does. As a collector, Ill put my money down on saying that his knive are bound to increase in value and become highly collectible in the years to come. Visit the site and let me know what you think! Any opinions?
Old 07-13-2005, 02:44 PM
Registered

Sir,
To what do you attribute this knife makers "Amazing" knives collectability?
Looking forward to your reply.
Randy Morgan

Old 07-13-2005, 03:08 PM
Steel Addict

Oh yea, BEAUTIFUL knives

Old 07-13-2005, 04:50 PM

I think you are a staunch supporter of his, and I'm glad for your pleasure. He looks like a man who works hard at his knives.

I do NOT think these will be too collectible in the years ahead. They are ALL fancy knives with finishes that aren't conducive to working knives. So they are more a 'collector' knife than a using knife. Nothing wrong with that. But the odd consistency of his styles: shallow hollow grinds, and screwed-on bolsters are something that rarely pass to the knowledgeable collector.

Selling by the inch is a new concept to me. I wonder what Larry Fuegen charges...

I hate to criticize someone who is trying his best and probably making lots of people happy, but 'amazing' he is not. Not in today's Custom Knife world. I have seen most of the amazing makers whose work comes in at his price point.

Thanks for the look. Welcome. You asked for an honest appraisal and I offered it.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 07-13-2005, 06:32 PM
Skilled

Different folks like different knives. I have a fairly decent collection but these knives just don't fit into what I like. I figured what a 4 1/2" fixed blade would cost me based on his pricing (with mammoth, bolsters etc.) and I really don't believe that would be a bargain to me. It might very well be to someone else. I'm not a real big fan of damascus and that seems to be all he works with. I will say it's some of the best looking I've seen. Finally, looking at his gallery which I would think would be a broad representation of his styles or patterns and they sure do all look pretty much alike to me. I wish him luck

Paul
Old 07-14-2005, 01:51 AM
Steel Addict

As a collector I must say that I never will buy one of his knives. I don't think there unique in any sence of the word. Furthermore I don't like all the colours and materials he is mixing in one knife. I believe he is selling alot through e-bay at the moment for IMO too much money. Certainly if you compare this with the prices and quality of some other makers (lets say Rodrigo Sfreddo).

Marcel
Old 07-14-2005, 08:51 AM

Problem is Phil Ernest is an honest man making good knives. No where did I see HIM say he was 'Amazing'. I feel bad, that if Phil were to join us, his first exposure would be a solid critique of his work.

JoJo, I'd like to see you come in and talk to us again. If not then point Mr. Phil in here. He certainly has a lot of experience, and can contribute to the overall forum.

I suspect we'd all appreciate his work that much more if we knew him. And that goes for anyone. Even JoJo.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 07-14-2005, 09:26 AM
Skilled

I think some of his knives are cerainly beautiful, but for me a knife must be both beautiful and functional, or functional and marginally beautiful, but beautiful and marginally functional just doesnt do much for me. Many of his knives show blade blueing in the deep purples and blues. That means hes (i assume) going through all the difficulty to heat treat these blades properly, then shooting them back up to close to 600 degrees. If I am grinding a hardened blade and it shows blues from overheating while grinding, its time to re-heat treat. Anything more than dark straw worries me, so i wouldnt buy a knife such as these for anything other than display, but if all i wanted was a display knife, id make it out of mild steel and brittle materials myself. I also notice some pretty thick blades with pretty shallow and short grinds....I am not knocking him as a maker because some of his fit and finish are top notch, its just not my cup of tea. Im sure somene could say much worse about my knives!

I think the problem here is the blind statement of "amazing" coupled with claims of collectibility. Those are usually things that are earned through a logn established reputation. I think my gut reaction was that the original post was one that was to be posted to every message board around, presumably by the knifemaker himself, though I won't make that accusation....
Old 07-14-2005, 12:06 PM
Steel Addict

WOW!!! You-all are really hard on this guy. I can?t blame JoJo for trying to get the makers name out there he has a vested interest in him by owning one of his works, although it could have been a little more subtle.

That being said, I like the mosaic damascus. He apparently has a lot of knowledge in that field. I don?t think that these knives were made a users but more as something to admire on a fireplace mantle. There is a market for those, but it is clearly not here.

Joe

Old 07-14-2005, 12:59 PM
Skilled

I doubt there would be nearly as much negative response if it didnt seem like a new user came out of the sky touting what sounded a lot like an advertisement by the maker. I personally would have showed the new knife, explained why I liked it, asked for opinions etc, rather than arriving, stating how great the person was with no reasoning and frankly stating the collectibility of their knives, then leaving without any followup. It seemed to me to be a blanket marketing attempt more than an honest show of support and enthusiasm over a recent purchase.

Surely there is a market for knives like this. Go on ebay and his knives regularly sell for good money. If so, more power to him! No one is trying to belittle the maker, most responses here are directed toward the claims of collectibility and "amazingness." I can't critique other than on my own personal preference...

Sorry if I came off harsh! I honestly took the post with a grain of salt due to its format...maybe JoJo can come back and respond, maybe post some pictures of the new knife and give it a review, etc....
Old 07-14-2005, 01:35 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikTock
I doubt there would be nearly as much negative response if it didnt seem like a new user came out of the sky touting what sounded a lot like an advertisement by the maker......It seemed to me to be a blanket marketing attempt more than an honest show of support and enthusiasm over a recent purchase.
Very good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TicTock
...maybe JoJo can come back and respond, maybe post some pictures of the new knife and give it a review, etc....
I hope he does. After all his name is......."amazing"

Joe

Old 07-14-2005, 06:14 PM

Amazing and Collectible Knife maker????

Hi Oljoe,

I have to agree that when I read Jojo's post I took it almost as an infomercial.

Jojo, out of curiousity I would like to read why you feel he is an "amazing" maker and what you base his future collectibility on.

It is posts like this that mislead otherwise trusting individuals to purchase a knife that may be overhyped.

I looked at his web site (he sure does like blue bolsters). The work looks good for a new maker, not amazing.

As for collectible in the future I will have to beg to differ. Then again, 20 years from now I may be disproven.

I look forward to your post Jojo.

If you want to see amazing, check out Sam Butler's 10" forged bowies with stainless hardware, Desert Ironwood and a Kenny Rowe custom leather sheath for $325. Now that is amazing!

www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com
Old 07-15-2005, 11:10 AM
Registered

Arrow Finally A Reply... Sorry For The Wait!

Well guys, I've heard allot of interesting comments and feedback here. I'm glad so many posted their honest opinion?s, it helped me get a feeling for how those within this forum consider the aspects of collectibility. Anyway, I'll try to answer some questions here. First, I'm sorry for coming off like an "infomercial" with my original topic starter, you know the whole amazing thing! I'm not a sponsor in any way. I've never met Phil and actually was only exposed to his work a few weeks ago. I thought his work was quite unique and I define knives on different aspects to judge whether they will hold or gain value in the future. Phil is new. He's pretty much a "prospect" as of yet. If you've seen his site, you already know he's been instructed by Ralph Freer in the art of knife making. At that time, Ralph, who at one time made fighters, hunters and bowies (Oh my!) (I know that was corny but I couldn't help it) had pretty much gone on to making folders only. If you look closely at Phil's knives, they are virtually constructed like a folder, especially in the sense that he doesn?t use pins to hold his slabs and bolsters to the tang. I saw in this forum one person mentioned he didn't like this aspect. It was strange to me too, as I've never seen this before.
I want to clarify this as well?
Originally Posted by TikTock:
I doubt there would be nearly as much negative response if it didn?t seem like a new user came out of the sky touting what sounded a lot like an advertisement by the maker......It seemed to me to be a blanket marketing attempt more than an honest show of support and enthusiasm over a recent purchase
I apologize if it seemed that way, but I never meant to and would not post an advertisement on this board. I live in NY. Phil is in CA and I don?t even know him.
Les Robertson stated: It is posts like this that mislead otherwise trusting individuals to purchase a knife that may be over-hyped.
Again I apologize. I?m not selling Mr. Ernest?s knives and could care less if someone bought them or not. Also I want to say, when I look at a knife I say to myself, ?How long has the maker been making his knives? How many years does have to improve?? These are important questions. I believe Phil has many, many years ahead to master his work. (His fit and finish do need work, and I do think he should use regular, maybe nickel silver pins in for his handles. Anyway, I think I?ve said enough. Let me know if there are anymore questions out there? and please, try and be open. Don?t shut yourself off to someone who in the future could be one of the best. Even makers like Vernie Reed, or Darrell Ralph or who ever you want to mention off the top of your head, were unknowns / beginners at one time or another. Les Robertson said, ?As for collectible in the future I will have to beg to differ. Then again, 20 years from now I may be disproven.? I think the later part of the statement more true than the first. Anyway, that?s it. This has been a great discussion and I?m glad so many responded, me being a ?newbie? and all. Oh yeah and
Originally Posted by TicTock:...maybe JoJo can come back and respond, maybe post some pictures of the new knife and give it a review, etc....
I hope he does. After all his name is......."amazing"

I hope I?ve filled this request adequetley, and about the name? It?s just true to my heart. I?ve loved the knife since I was considered ?too young? to handle them. I?ve been collecting for over 10 years now and I?m sure I can still learn a lot from many of you guys in this great forum. My real name, if you haven?t guessed yet, is Joe. One Last thing? I posted a question previously about Don Parrish and no one answered ? He was a good up-and coming knife maker who seems to have dropped off the face of the planet. Can anyone give me any info? Someone must know something! I would appreciate it! Thanks!
Old 07-15-2005, 11:33 AM

Hi JoJo,

So he was trained by Ralph Freer, his fit and finish need work and fortunatly he has many years to improve.

Ok, back to my original question. What makes him Amazing and Collectibile in the future.

Judging his work by the quality for the money based on the amount of time he has been making knives. Where do you position do you place him in the current custom knife makert. That is done by comparing his work with others who have been making knives for a similiar time and for similiar money.

Who's work is his comperable to?

Here is an example. Mike Obenauf has been making knives for 5 years. His knives sell in the $350 - $375 range. His teacher is Kit Carson. He has over a 1 year wait for his knives and his knives sell for 25% more in the aftermarket.

In fairness to you, you may truly believe what you write. However, this is why I am asking you to qualify your statements. This way we can get a handle on what your background is and what you are basing your statements on.

Case in point, what you wrote about Don Parrish. He was trained by Don Hastings, they started the Hastings-Parrish business. Yet no one here can tell you what happened to Don.

Meerly having a great teacher and better than average skills does not mean a maker will be successful, let alone collectible.

www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com
Old 07-15-2005, 12:06 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Thanks!

I want to thank you Les. I feel I can learn a few things from you. Perhaps I may be hasty and maybe I am judging the collectable factor on a gut feeling. Eiother way, well see what happens. I'm really quite confused about Parrish. How can someone just "disappear". I guess by "case and point" you mean to say the same may happen to Phil Ernest. Who knows. Anyway, you've been quite helpful. Just out of curiosity, who are your favorite makers? What new makers do you see potential in? I'd love to know your opinion on this matter! Hope to hear from you soon! ~Jo. Kn.

Tags
art knife, blade, fixed blade, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives