MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 06-16-2001, 10:26 AM
ansoknives

Sharpeners.....what do you use? Makers and collectors

I just got my self a Sharpmaker from Spyderco and I am impressed! I also got a special shaped set of stones for some really curved blades. I have a double pocket stone from Spyderco too....seems like I am hooked on Spyderco sharpeners...they work really great.

I have used my Lansky for setting the bevel on new knives for years. Still use it but use the grinder to remove most material. I have yet to controll the grinder so much that I can create consistant edges with it...so Lansky is a keeper. Also I like my customers to be able to reproduce the edge the knife came with.

Finally I have a few diamond coated special rods and "creditcards"...those however have not impressed me...seems very coarse...the once I have anyway.

I allways seemed to have a dull pocket knife cause I use it so much (various Spyderco...recently the old Terzuola design) Then with the Sharpmaker it is real easy and FAST to sharpen ANY knife. I think fast is the key word here since I probably need to sharpen several times a week.

Anyway...what do you use?
Old 06-16-2001, 02:17 PM
William

well, I'm a new maker, but have had a knife since kindergarden, and seems like I have tried every thing from jigs to pocket dymond stones.

What I've had the best luck with is the norton fine India stone and a fine Arkansaw stone. I use the coarse side of the India to establish the bevel on a new knife, then fine tune with the fine side, and then a few licks with the Arkansaw to finish. This seems to work best for me over anything I have tried.

I used to cary an EZLap for touch ups, but never got the results I get now.
Old 06-16-2001, 03:00 PM
Don Cowles

I am afraid I am hopelessly addicted to the belt grinder, both to do the initial edge bevels and to touch up. I have found no better way to do it, and as long as I have the tools, I will take advantage of them.
Old 06-16-2001, 10:53 PM
MIKE KOLLER

I am like you Don,I do like the belt grinder and have had reaaly good comments on how long the edge holds up,on my knives and those factory jobs too. I think for some that doing this on the grinder is near voodoo,but it works .

Now if I had my Grandpas old wet wheel arkansas stone it may be different.
Old 06-17-2001, 05:48 AM
Boriqua

I have a DMT Course for taking the occasional chip out of my Sebenza and then a soft, hard and black arkansas. I can get a really (good) edge with them. It will shave arm hair and slice paper but I havent gotten to Great edge on my sebenza with this set up. Buutttt

The pleasure I get from taking out my stones and oiling them and hearing the swish swosh as I sharpen adds so much more enjoyment to my fasination with sharp shiny things that Im willing to keep toughing it out until I can get a GREAT edge on my Sebenza. It really is Zen like.

PS
It seems its only my Sebenza I cant get the edge Im looking for. My carbon blades and kitchen knives I have managed to get to atom slicing sharp.
Old 06-17-2001, 08:11 AM
Mike Conner

I also use the ole 2 X 72. I use a worn 400 grit belt for the initial edge, then switch to a worn 600. I run the grinder fairly slow so I can see the wire burr on the edge and to keep the blade from heating up. Once I can no longer see the wire burr, I switch to a leather belt loaded with green chrome and polish the edge to a mirrow finish and I get a scary sharp blade from this process.
Mike
Old 06-17-2001, 05:57 PM
ScottWiley

I set my bevels with a new 320 grit belt moving slow and then go to a Norton Fine India stone followed by a light strop on a strop stick I made out of red oak with a piece of 9-10oz. leather glued to it embedded with green chrome compound. The blades cut like a rabid chainsaw and the edges are easy to touch up usually with just another light stropping.

I likes them toothy edges!

Scott
Old 06-21-2001, 09:44 AM
J Loose

I use Lansky Sharpeners myself, mostly because I have customers always asking me what is a good system to use and a Lansky set is relatively inexpensive. I use a rough synthetic stone to start the edge and Arkansas stones to get that mirror polish edge- I love a hidden shiny line on metal... I also like the fact that the edge is exactly replicable for customers.

The disadvantage is that if you are sharpening a lot of knives you will go through stones... especially the softer ones. Also you MUST tape the clamp or it will mar your blade... the tape is kind of a pain in the ass... I am looking into a latex dip.

Anyone tried the 'Edge Pro' ?
Old 06-21-2001, 10:18 AM
ansoknives

when using Lansky...(for the same reasons as you listed) I use a small piece of cloth..(old t-shirt mostly) in the clamp...it is easy and does not mar the blade....the dip sounds interesting...but I think it might catch small chips..?

Old 06-21-2001, 11:17 AM
JerryO13

I think you guys are talking about plasti-dip www.plastidip.com/plastdip.html I use it on tool handles.

As for sharpeners I have a spyderco sharpmaker and a double sided (coarse / fine) arkansas stone that I must replace as it has seen better days.

Old 06-21-2001, 05:46 PM
dogman

I use the slack part of the belt grinder with a 220 or 320..whatever is handy. I try for 20 degrees. And work both sides until I get the visible burr formed along the whole edge. I then take it to a leather strop (rough side up) and get a good coat of green compound on it. It usually only takes a few passes and the edge gets hair poppin' sharp. Neil Blackwood showed me the strop trick.
Old 06-22-2001, 10:06 AM
Rade L Hawkins

I also use the belt grinder for all but touch up sharpening. I usually adjust the angle to fit the blade size and thickness. Normally I use a 400 grit belt for the first cut then a worn out 600 for the final finish then to the leather strop
for touch up I use a 1200 grit diamond steel that is 3" wide and 12" long. It only takes two or three strokes on this and it will shave. This works great on kitchen knives.
Old 06-22-2001, 11:03 AM
JerryO13

Rade, I like your tag line. It reminds me of the saying "A mind is like a parachute, it works better when open."
Old 06-22-2001, 08:42 PM
Rade L Hawkins

Thanks Jerry I will try and remember the parachute saying. Rade
Old 06-27-2001, 03:11 PM
Dexter Ewing

Sharpeners.....what do you use? Makers and collectors

Jens - I'm with you. I love Spyderco's sharpeners, especially the 204 Sharpmaker. Easy to set up, easy to use, and sharpens anything with an edge (well, almost!). I can put a really nice edge in a short period of time.

The first sharpening kit that I got was a Lansky, but that was replaced when I got the Sharpmaker a while back. The Lansky is nice but for me, it gets kind of messy with the oil and all.

For the bigger fixed blades I have that are too big for the Sharpmaker, I'll usually use my Hewlett 3 sided diamond sharpening rod. Works very nicely.

I've also got other sharpening tools like DMT files and benchstone but the default sharpener that sees a lot of use is my Sharpmaker!

Tags
blade, folding knife, knife, knives