MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:03 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks Ray! Im going to try adjusting the height of my bench the grinder is on tonight and try it out tomorrow. Im hoping that by lowering it I will be able to look down on the blade better to see what I am doing incorrecrly. if that doesn't work I will consider getting your video.
I got to go and observe a local knife maker the other day while he was grinding a blade. He gave me some tips and while I learned a lot it didn't really help my grinding. He turned me on to a really fast adhesive for handles and taught me how to do them on the grinder and buffer.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:02 AM
Guru

I have both of rays video's and waiting for the 3rd one they help a lot. more info in those than ones that cost a lot more. what kind of fast glue did this guys sugest (just curious)
Old 12-09-2016, 11:52 AM
Steel Addict

Loctite 324 and 7075. Only for micarta though.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:21 PM
Guru

Funny the differences between knife makers. I use 30 minute epoxy just in case something goes wrong when I'm assembling the handle and guards if any. I tend to use small pins and typically more than two of them. I would never use anything as fast as super glues CAs are. I made a filet knife with 12 pins and it took a few minutes to get it all lined up and clamped. I won't use 12 pins again as that was a real pain. I used a number 30 drill which is .128 versus the .125 pins and it was still hard. If I use that many pins again I have a #30 carbide straight flute drill bit and will use that to make the holes after I put the handle on.

A .125 1/8 pin in a .125 hole squeezes all the glue out btw. Also is more likely to crack the handle if somebody who doesn't know better sticks it in the doggone dishwasher. If I use an exact size drill for the pin I grind the pin down a little for the glue. I bought a #12 .189 drill bit for 3/16 pins and found that a lot of 3/16 tubing is bigger than .187 and I have to grind the tubes a little. I use about 80 grit for the glue to get a good purchase on the pin.

Last edited by jimmontg; 12-09-2016 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:14 PM
Steel Addict

my understanding of the 2 part loctite is that it will not set until you apply a lot of pressure to it. I think from the time you clamp it it sets in 5 minutes. dont quote me on this however as I have only watched the process but have a small amount of some to try.

Tags
1084, angle, belt, blade, blades, brass, edge, first knife, grind, grinder, grinding, hammer, heat, heat treat, knife, make, metal, post, rod, sharp, tang, temper, throw, tiny, vise