MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 12-02-2005, 07:37 PM
Enthusiast

Help sander won't track right

First, let me say that I just got a Jet 1 hp. grinder from John at True Grit. It's great!!!!!!!!

Now to my problem: I have been using a 2"x42" Sears grinder with a vertical platen for the last several years. I like doing the initial grind on a vertical platen. A couple of weeks ago the tracking went south on the Sears machine. I have taken the idler wheel apart a couple of times and reset everything. The belt tracks just fine until I apply the blade to the platten or move the tracking lever to make a minor belt adjustment. Then the belt goes flying halfway across the idler and starts grinding the work table sideways. Is there a simple fix for this or should I take the grinder to Sears and have them do a fix I can't really afford. I like the Sears because it's the machine I learned to do the plunge cut with and I don't really want to do that learning curve over again. Thanks for any help or advise.
Smitty
Old 12-02-2005, 07:44 PM
Hall of Famer

Try making a couple of wraps of sturdy tape around the center of the drive wheel.

That will give the wheel a "crown" and help keep the belt from slipping sideways.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:51 PM
Enthusiast

Sears isn't going to be of any help, but I have one in the shop and I'll take a look in the morning and see if I can help you on this.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:04 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I'll try the tape on the drive wheel. Got a feeling that might do the trick.

Tags
blade, knife