MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 05-29-2003, 09:43 AM
Steel Addict

Kitchen Knife

I have been having trouble using small kitchen knives. The handle is usually so small that I get cramp after a minute or two so I decided to make my own.

The Blade is made from 01 - 3mm Ground Flat Stock. The handles are made from some scrap Tufnol, same as Micarta. It has a 3 1/2" Blade and is 7 1/2" OAL

What do you think?

Gold is for the mistress - silver for the maid - Copper for the craftsman cunning in his trade. "Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall But iron - cold iron is master of them all. Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)
Old 05-29-2003, 10:16 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
Very nice, John- and welcome to the CKD!

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 05-29-2003, 10:20 AM
Skilled

Thumbs up

Very nice knife John and probably mighty useful. The pins are interesting. Are they home made?

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds". Albert Einstein
Old 05-29-2003, 11:31 AM
Steel Addict

Very good!
I did some experiments too, but I made end of a handle bugger so you may push it by the middle of the palm and shape of the top more curvy to mutch palm anatomy to peel potatoes.
Thanks, Vassili.

Old 05-29-2003, 02:17 PM
Steel Addict

I made the pins myself from 6mm brass tube and some brass rod. The epoxy has some silvery grey colouring in it. More of an experiment than anything else and the filework is always good practice. It is only my third knife finished so I need the practice. This one is more for boning meat and jointing poultry than anything else. I plan on making a matching one with a thinner blade for vegetables, slicing and what have you. Prepared a chicken with it tonight and it is very comfortable to use with my meat hook hands.

Gold is for the mistress - silver for the maid - Copper for the craftsman cunning in his trade. "Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall But iron - cold iron is master of them all. Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)

Last edited by John; 05-29-2003 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-29-2003, 02:31 PM
Hall of Famer

great third (or thirtieth for that matter) effort, john.
2 suggestions: next time take a second to orient the pins so that they match and i think i would round the heel of the blade a bit more to increase the safety factor. with that small first finger space under the bolster, i'd probably cut myself once the handle got slimey with chicken fat, blood, etc.
thanx

Old 05-29-2003, 04:19 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
I like it....alot! Form follows function. Looks like it could evolve into a standard pattern for you.
I would ditch the mirror finish (probably gone already) and vinagar patena. It is gonna stain anyway. Might as well control the stain to keep it even and prevent rust. Nice job. I love kitchen Cutlery.

Old 05-29-2003, 07:21 PM
Guru

That ia a nice, handy, usable knife either in the kitchen or on the belt. Gib

Old 05-30-2003, 01:50 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks to all for the encouragement. I have learnt an awful lot while trawling this forum. I did about ten months worth of research before I could get my little cellar workshop up and running. Styles, Materials, Legalities etc. I still do a fair bit of snooping about but I suppose that never ends.

A couple of questions though.

What is a vinegar patina?
Does it work?
How do I do it?

Old 05-30-2003, 03:21 PM
Guru

John, it is a etch, just wipe the blade with vinegar or lime or tomato juice and it will itch a patina on the blade so it won't rust.
It works good and looks good like a old time carbon steel knife.
Gib

Old 05-30-2003, 03:23 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Vinagar patena (ageing),, is like a cross between what Don Cowles does with rubbing the blade with a slice of lemon, or like etching with Fc. It is all etching i guess. The vinagar and lemon are just slower than the Ferric cloride. Ray Richards does it with mustard. When you cut acidic food with your high carbon blade it it tends to leave dark streaks that look uneven. Light etching with citric or whatever kind of acid vinagar is, coats the blade evenly with a fast black rust that makes it hard for the red rust to stick to. IMO, the eveness of a light controled patena is preferrable to the waiting envolved in natural patena, which is inevidable unless you buff it after every use. I just know this from experence with my own collection of high carbon kitchen knives.

Tags
blade, knife, knives