MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:29 PM

could some one give me a lead on where I could find 5160 in 20 ft lengths?
Old 03-30-2016, 03:52 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Admiral Steel has it ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-30-2016, 11:03 PM
Steel Addict

I'm sure Kelly Cupples can hook you up.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:14 AM

Shipping might be a buggar on that length.....better find a closer supply (or shorten your sword design a bit).

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 03-31-2016, 07:36 AM

Thanks. I have bought it this way before. They will cut in in 5' lengths so it will ship better. 20' will last me for a year. and is a lot cheaper than 18" at a time like knife suppliers have it.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:22 AM
Hall of Famer

If you are not actually wanting a single 20' length of 5160 but a total length equal to that I would also recommend that you check with the New Jersey Steel Baron. He sells bars in actual 3' lengths and his prices are comparable to Admiral.

Doug

Old 04-02-2016, 11:59 AM
Steel Addict

Ray Kirk Raker knives Tahlequah Oklahoma

www.BirdogForge.com
Old 04-06-2016, 09:45 PM
Guru

Sheffields has 6 foot lengths.

5160 bar at .256 x 2 or .256 x 1.5 @ 72". Price in my recent catalogue is $20.25 for the 1.5 and $24.95 for the 2 inch stuff. Go to WWW.Sheffield Supply.com and wait for the catalogue PDF to download. Of course prices are subject to change.

They do not take internet orders you have to call @ 800 874 7007. They have some outstanding stuff and if you are looking for Dymondwood they still have a bunch of it since the factory burnt down. The numbers on the Dymondwood are screwed up past #5 then it jumps up by two to #6 is actually #8. The catalogue has mistakes on the Dymondwood needless to say, so pay attention to what you're ordering and make the guy read your order back to you..

As for some of great stuff they have 52100 bar .140 x 5/8 up to 50 lb. bundles and 1/8 by 1 1/2 and 2" up to 72". If you are looking for 1080 they have it up to 72" as well at good prices. For raw materials they can't be beat. They are my last supplier of the one color Dymondwoods. Some of their stuff is expensive and some isn't. I ordered a bunch of stuff from them and no problems other than the guy answering the phone saying the owner is old and doesn't go in for this new fangled internet stuff.LOL

They have hot rolled D2 and I was wondering does anyone have experience with that, because it is very inexpensive (cheap)?

Last edited by jimmontg; 04-06-2016 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:50 AM

I have some experience with D2 and I don't think hot rolled or cold rolled makes much difference. There are many manufacturers for D2 which means the D2 you get might be quite different from the D2 I used. The D2 I have used is hard to work with. It produces a good blade if you can HT it to exactly Rc 60 but even then I had two blades crack a year after the knives were finished and they were not abused. D2 makes a good blade but there are other steels that make better and more reliable blades and that are much easier to work with ....

Old 04-07-2016, 05:11 PM
Guru

Thanks Ray

The reason I asked was at my last job they only used precision ground annealed D2. We made one meter and one and a half meter blades for paper perforation. The "fold and tear along this line" stuff. D2 was always used for some cutting application. We had an excellent HT company and then they went out of business. As the TIG welder I was chosen along with an older machinist for the job. There is a surprising amount of HT info in the machinist's handbook on tool steels and even case hardening regular steel. I also called and spoke to Hinderliter HT in OKC as I used them when I lived there. They were very helpful, but we never used hot rolled D2 which is why I asked.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:07 PM

Basically whatever worked for cold rolled should work for hot rolled. Generally, with hot rolled steel you will probably have more clean up to do before you start to really use it but if it is annealed when you get it then it doesn't matter how the bar was formed at the factory...

Old 04-08-2016, 12:34 AM
Guru

OK I thought the HR process would warp it.

D2 will warp if ground uneven and hot roll just seems to be in the mix some how, but thanks. Since it is so inexpensive I'm going to try some. I'll use TKS as they advertise they HT D2. I'll call and talk to Alex their HT guy. The liquid nitrogen thing will probably help.

Tags
5160, 52100, art, back, blade, blades, case, cold, design, help., hot, knife, knives, made, make, materials, sheffield, steel, supply