MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 08-14-2005, 01:36 PM
Skilled

What new RMK('s) do you have on order?

New member here.
You guys have put together a great site. I learn something everytime I visit. I am a new RMK collector too. I own three RMK's and have two on order.
My questions to you are:

What new Randall Made Knives do you have on order?
Did you order direct from the Randall shop or from an authorized RMK dealer?

I have on order from Nordic Knives:

1. #5-7 carbon steel; brass #1 guard and butt cap; black/brass spacers; stacked leather grip w/rh finger groves.

2. #1-7 standard.

OK, what are you spending the kid's inhieritance on?

tom
tomthbomb (as in: tom the bomb)
Old 08-14-2005, 04:49 PM

That'd take too long to post a comprehensive list because, for the past several years, I've been ordering two per year just like clockwork directly from the shop. So I have four years worth in the pipeline.

When I first started accumulating a modest number of Randalls nearly 40 years ago while in the Air Force, I only bought carbon steel (non-stainless) versions because they were cheaper and were purchased strictly as "users." But after I accumulated more users than everyone in the family could possibly need, I started switching to dressed up stainless blades with lots of options. That's one of the big reasons I monitor the RMK forums...to see pictures of various options to determine if I like the "look" of something out of the ordinary or something I hadn't thought about or considered before.

And, I must admit, many of those more recent purchases have never been used although I'd not hesitate for a heartbeat if I had a reason to carry/use one of them.

In addition to the semi-annual orders from the shop, I always purchase the Club offerings and I keep in contact with several authorized dealers and knife purveyors. I've picked up a few "out-of-cycle" catalog-priced knives that way when the dealer had someone who backed out of the order when the knife came in. I hate to say it, but I've probably benefited from a few folks who fell on hard times and couldn't justify the price of a new Randall when it finally came in.

Finally, I usually make a couple knife shows every year although I seldom purchase any RMKs there. I've typically found them offered with a premium price.

Lastly, I've kind of switched my focus of late to trying to obtain a representative sample of each of the Dealer Specials as well as the "unadvertised" knives (e.g, Triathlete, Tailor, etc.) which are currently available. That's proven to be a bit harder than I anticipated to get a handle on all the dealer offerings along with good points of contact. Maybe a comprehensive list with representative pictures would make for a good sticky thread in this forum. There was a reasonably good thread in KnifeForums on that very subject but it had several omissions and didn't include pics although they were available in various threads with some diligent searching.

Anyway, glad to see another Randall collector joining the forum. Actually, I consider myself an accumulator...not a collector. I don't really have a definable collector scheme/strategy, I just buy what interests me aesthetically or for actual use.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:34 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to RedElk
From Randall I am waiting on:
1) #2-4 boot knife, SS, concave walnut handle, domed brass butt cap,
2) a carving set w-fork
3) #5-6 camp & trail, SS, nickel silver hilt, leather handle, right hand finger grips & wrist thong.

Then from the Capt. I'm waiting on a matching #7-5 and #22 in SS, green model 22 handles w- nickel silver hilt/dura. CB butt caps.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:45 PM
Skilled

Thanks Felix and RedElk.

Felix, which part of Texas are you in charge of (reside in)?

RedElk, your #5 is real close to the one I have on order.

tom
Old 08-14-2005, 07:39 PM

Your order, please!

Great idea for a thread, Tom!

I've actually only obtained one knife directly via an order from RMK , a dealer, or a Club knife from RKS. That was my mini-"Attack" #14 which arrived almost a year ago.

Due to bad planning, and not knowing what I was doing early on (still don't), I ordered six knives from RMK in 2003, four from Captain Chris in 2004, one from another authorized dealer, Wayne Buxton in 2005, and the latest Club Knife 5 from Rhett Stidham, President of the Randall Knife Society. Now it appears that one dozen Randalls are scheduled to arrive at my door during 2006. Yikes!

Now please, don't ask me to tell you what they are all going to be, because 1) I don't remember, and 2) I'm going to change some of them around. I do know that there's a Stanaback serial numbered "Special", a Buxton "Fighter" and some Big and Little Bear Bowies, and um... shucks...I guess I'll have to go look them up...

Cap, I'm going' to need your help figuring this all out. :confused:

Oh yeah, and I'd better start saving now...

Cheers!

Moosehead

P.S. It looks like 2006 is going to be a good year.

Last edited by Moosehead; 08-14-2005 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:56 PM
Skilled

...Well let's see. I have a Model 1 on order with Greg Gutcher. The RKS #5 on order with Rhett/RKS. Around a dozen more on order with Rick Ward and 25 or so on order with the shop. I better get busy and place some more orders.
Jeff
Old 08-14-2005, 08:59 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
Welcome Tom. You just haven't been bitten hard yet. I currently have 33 knives (or slots reserved) on order. 19 of those are through RMK. One is through the RKS. The rest are through authorized dealers, of which about half are dealer specials (two Stanaback Specials, two Sasquatches, a Buxton, a Nordic Bowie, T/C special). And of all the ones on order, not a one is even close to being like another.

I used to collect guns. Now I find that the knives bring me much more pleasure, not that I would part with the guns that I have. However, now I can look at a mint HK91 and equate that to a lot of Randalls. The decision isn't really that hard.

Plus, a guy has to have some reason to justify all of the overtime.

-gary

- Ronald Reagan
Old 08-14-2005, 09:04 PM
Steel Addict

David

If you can't handle all the knives you have ordered, you know my phone number!!!!

I bought four pieces of fossil ivory this year at the Blade Show, so those are my knife orders for the next two years. Two knives per year.

But then I also bought some wood, due to Greg Gutcher's good ideas, at the Blade Show, so I have a couple of more pieces of handle material. Where they fit in, I have not idea.

I have decided to order a 5-6, 3-6, 4-6 and 1-6 all with the fossil ivory. SS blades, NS hilt, Black and Silver spacers and leave the fossil ivory with as much bark on as possible.

My thoughts, today, are to buy two new knives a year and save my pennies for the Blade Show. My reasoning is, you never know at the Blade Show when an old Brown Micarta, Model 5, will jump up and cry to be taken home.

Rod
Old 08-15-2005, 08:24 AM

Jeff and Gary!

You guys have the illness big time and are in serious need of help.

The only known cure (which is iffy at best) is to send every second new Randall you receive to a worthy friend, prferably someone who participates on the Knife Network and lives in Canada, and is always being told that he just ain't right.

And Rod, I promise you'll have first crack, and no, you're not the guy I was referring to above.

Cheers!

Moosehead

Old 09-13-2005, 12:35 AM
Skilled

...I am bringing this thread back to the top. I was surprised that so few people posted on this thread. I would have thought that more people would have more Randall Knives on order. Since I last posted I extended my orders with Rick Ward. I will have Randalls coming from him until he is too old to take the orders or I am too old to write the checks. I also will keep ordering Randalls from the shop. It seems to me that ordering from the shop now and getting them at current catalog price in the futiure is a very good idea. By also ordering with a dealer you get the benefit of their experience in selecting options that go well together and also get the knives sooner than the 52 month wait from the shop.
Jeff
Old 09-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Skilled

Thanks Jeff for bringinging this back up.

Since I posted the subject I have two more RMK's on order.

* #2-7 tool steel, brass (#1 style) guard, black&brass spacers, commando leather grip, brass butt cap and brown model A sheath.

* #2-7 s/s, n/s (#1 style) guard, black&aluminum spacers, commando black micarta grip, n/s butt cap and black model A sheath.

tom
Old 09-13-2005, 09:06 PM
Enthusiast

I have 1 on order from the RMK shop (due in 2008).
An RKS 5 coming in March!
A 15 on order from A.G. Russell (3-4 months).
A 15 in the mail from Steve Peters!

Keith
Old 09-14-2005, 05:15 AM
Registered

I like this thread.

I like this thread, it would appear that I have only received a mild dose of Randall Knifeitus. Although in the last few months there have been a few skinning knives arriving at the homestead in Oz. I haven't had the heart to tell the missus about the last one. Anyway from the shop in Orlando: a model #21 stainless steel with extras. a model #11 3" stainless steel also with extras. From Rick Ward. (poor man must be sick of seeing emails from me, althought he would appear to be a saint and his future in Heaven is assured) a model #19 4 1/2 " stainless steel, still in the planing stage although the order is in. I only have to wait until 2008.

Greig Campbell
(who's future in Heaven is Not So Assured)
Old 09-15-2005, 05:22 PM
Skilled

quote:
"Greig Campbell
(who's future in Heaven is Not So Assured)"

I can help you with that friend.

tom
Old 09-15-2005, 05:42 PM

Eyes Wide Still!

Hi Tom!

I must be very unobservant, because I just realized that your "infamous" avatar does not have the R.E.M. that appears on other forums...

Cheers!

Moosehead

P.S. Thank heaven for small mercies...

Tags
blade, knife, knives