MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 05-12-2001, 08:00 PM
dogman

Small Wheel Work

I seem to have a problem with chatter lines when I use the small wheels to clean up the underside of my knives (or anywhere with curves). Is there a good speed to use on the smaller wheels? What about pressure? It is one of those things that has been plagueing me since my first knife.
Old 05-13-2001, 06:39 AM
Don Cowles

Bob- if for no other reason than the bearing life on the small wheel, stick with *slow* speeds. You'll find you have much more control then, too, and chatter should not be a problem. Biggest problem I have with them is maintaining the approach angle at 90 degrees to the wheel; some of my inside curves tend to have a slight bias, and it's a pain to go back and do it again.
Old 05-13-2001, 06:46 AM
ansoknives

I have had similar problems. Are your wheels rubbercovered? I put a small rubber tube on my small wheels and the problem at least got much sma.ller
Old 05-13-2001, 12:53 PM
MJHKNIVES

Same problem here,what I do is run the speed extremly slow,(I have VS)and every time I see the belt splice come around,I lift the blade away from the belt.It's not as clumsy as it sounds,and it works for me.
Old 05-17-2001, 03:28 AM
Steelej

Small Wheel Work

Diagonal or "skew" spliced belts help a bit but the biggest help comes from a really soft rubber lined wheel. About half as hard as the main work wheel will be fine as the belt backing will hold the curve profile well enough not to wash out as a too soft work wheel would on a hollow grind.
Old 05-17-2001, 02:30 PM
MJHKNIVES

Steelej,thats a good point about the durometer of the small wheel,mine are as hard as rocks.But where can you get softer ones.Thanks.

Tags
blade, knife, knives