MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-06-2001, 12:25 PM
mn2deep

6A Stainless?

I am as new as they come to this whole knifemaking thing. I jsut purchased a kit for TKS. The Blade is listed as being made from 6A High Carbon Stainless Steel. I can't seem to find anything on 6A. How does it compare to 440 or ATS-34?

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-06-2001, 12:53 PM
Don Cowles

If what you have is AUS6A, it is a decent compromise between edge holding and rust resistance. It is at the lower end of acceptable "stainless" alloys for making quality knives, but nothing to be ashamed of.
Old 07-06-2001, 09:40 PM
cajun bones

mn2deep,

That will make a fine kit knife as Don has said. All steels have their benefits. Some, as you will find, are better than others. A lot of it is a matter of taste. Nonetheless, finish the kit and please post a picture of it on the display board when you're finished!

Chris
Old 07-07-2001, 08:46 AM
mn2deep

Thanks for your responses. I hope to use all the info I've gleened lately from CKD and move to stock removal real soon using O-1. Until then I guess the kit thing will have to satisfy this nagging urge to create something sharp!!
Old 07-07-2001, 10:11 AM
Don Cowles

You'll have a great time, and you'll be proud of what you do. Keep on truckin', and holler if you have questions!
Old 07-09-2001, 09:19 AM
C L Wilkins

Joe Talmadge wrote an article a few years ago that covered a vast majority of the different steels used for cutlery today. It is located at:
knifeart.com/steelfaqbyjo.html

Mr. Talmadge states that this particular series of steel is comparable to 440A with less chromium content but does have vanadium which will contribute to a higher wear resistance.

Craig

Tags
blade, knife, knives