MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > General ::: Items and Bargains

General ::: Items and Bargains Good deals on useful items for sale by Knife Network members

Old 09-16-2001, 04:47 PM
Mondt

Abalone Shells

Cleaning out the supply cabinet after the move and came across several abalone shells. They are about 4"x6". I used one to make a set of scales for a small folder once. Too messy to do it again! I'll try to get some pics up soon.

BEST OFFER OR TRADE. So don't be shy!
Old 09-16-2001, 08:13 PM
Bob Warner

Real or synthetic? I have not seen real abalone in that size. Have not worked with it much though.
Old 09-17-2001, 10:00 AM
Mondt

These are real. The whole shell. I was able to get 2 good flat pieces about 1" x 2 1/2" out of the one I cut up. Also got a lot of smaller pieces suitable for inlays and such too.
Old 09-24-2001, 09:00 PM
Gordo62

I have some really nice birds eye maple which I have cut into blocks about 1 1/2" sq and 5" or so long. You can't buy anything like this stuff. Name the trade, I'm easy.

gordo
Old 09-29-2001, 09:57 PM
ksbadger1

RE:Abalone shells

Guys---Please be very careful working with these shells.The dust is VERY bad for your health.I am not trying to keep anyone from using this beautiful stuff.Just be careful.
Badger
Old 10-01-2001, 05:45 AM
Don Cowles

Re: RE:Abalone shells

I need to nip this in the bud.

Shell dust is not toxic. It is a silicate, and will damage your lungs if breathed, but it is not poisonous in any way.

I heard the same rumors and old wives tales when I was doing pearl and abalone inlays in musical instruments years ago. I was pleased to see Joe Culpepper (Mother of Pearl Co.) put it in writing that it is a safe material to use. Just wear a respirator.
Old 10-02-2001, 02:28 PM
Shyningnight

Don;
Not to doubt you... since you undoubtedly have more experience than I... but an aqaintance of mine spent 3 days in the hostpital from breathing Abalone shell dust.
He does carving of Ab shells as a sideline business (makes some darn nice stuff too!)... and the first time he did, within a few hours he had trouble breathing... And went to the ER.

Could have been an allergic reaction unique to him...
Could have some other condition....

But HE is convinced to use a high quality fine particle respirator.. and he cerainly convinced ME....

I WOULD most certainly like to find some definitive answer about this though!

Paul F.
Old 10-02-2001, 03:18 PM
Don Cowles

This is taken from Culpepper's web site (www.motherofpearl.net/mother.htm):

Health Precautions

Contrary to some belief, Mother of Pearl is NOT poisonous. Several rumored cases cite Mother of Pearl as the cause of severe physical problems and even death. However, not one case has been documented or proven to be true. In nearly all of the cases I have heard, the complaining parties had many other serious health problems. Usually, preexisting asthma, emphysema or allergic reactions are the cause of any health problems associated with working with Mother of Pearl. Mother or Pearl is composed of 85% calcium carbonate, 12% conchiolin, and 3% water, none of which are harmful or poisonous. The possibility of an allergic reaction does exist, but normally isn't of serious consequence or life threatening. The typical symptoms that I have heard of are nausea, vomiting, headaches, coughing, and fever. For those who are allergic or have a reaction, these symptoms can persist for up to two days. I currently know personally of only 4 or 5 knife makers, of the 500 that buy Mother of Pearl from my company, who occasionally suffer from symptoms of this type. That puts the percentage of sufferers at about 1%. This is by no means a scientific figure, but it is simply to give you, the reader, an idea of your likelihood of becoming ill from this type of work.

There is some risk involved! Ground fragments of Mother of Pearl are the equivalent of tiny glass fragments. As you can imagine, these fragments are not good for your eyes, nose, throat, and especially your lungs. Breathing pearl dust, like any other dust, can cause build up in the lungs, cause difficulty breathing, and shortness of breath. So be smart and buy a good filtration mask and wear safety glasses, preferably air tight goggles so as to prevent dust from getting into your eyes. Knife makers should wear goggles and a mask regardless of what they are grinding.

Old 10-02-2001, 04:24 PM
Shyningnight

Good link and good info!
(good to know!)

My only other question would be; Are mother of pearl and Abalone shell the same as relates to allergies?

It sounds likely that the guy I know probably had either some other preexisting condition (exacerbated by the grinding dust?) or an allergic reaction...

Paul F.
Old 10-03-2001, 05:13 AM
Don Cowles

Paul, the short answer is "yes." You can tell from the different appearance of the two shells that there must be some slight differences in terms of their makeup, but those differences have no bearing on the toxicity (or lack thereof).
Old 12-18-2001, 09:47 PM
lottforgenbladeworks

no one said it was toxic..they said it was a health hazard

and what he said is true.. you breath that silicate
dust..its like micro-scalpels..cuts up your broncholi
and causes sub-vascular bleeding at the oxygen/blood
barrier...flooding the area and causing micro-asphyxiation
which in a large amount of inhaled dust..could easily
put someone into respiratory distress.. yep..sicilate
dust is nasty stuff...prolonged exposure over a few years will kill you... just wear a good mask...and just because
youve stopped grinding ..doesnt mean take it off...
give the room an hour an clean air flow..the stuff hangs
in the air at the micron size level...

Old 12-19-2001, 08:23 PM
CKDadmin

Re: no one said it was toxic..they said it was a health haza

Yes, under a microscope, the dust particals look like shards of glass. Actually, one look at it and you'll be heading to the store for a good quality respirator to use. It's pretty nasty looking stuff. Beautiful when finished though ... nothing like it!

Alex

Tags
knife