MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:40 PM

first knife

I seriously got into knife making about 6 months ago. forging got into my blood and now that all I think about. this is my first knife that is going to a friend. the blade is forged out of a railroad spike, the handle is made of blood wood and cow bone, with brass pins. the blade is 3 inches and the handle is 3.5 inches. this is also my first sheath, hand sewn with sinew. any criticism would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0261.JPG (257.5 KB, 72 views)
Old 01-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Hall of Famer

That is outstanding for a first knife. The question is how well does it cut? With good heat treating, a railroad spike knife can be functional but a higher carbon steel can make a much better blade. My biggest recommendation is that you get some good carbon steel, something like 1080, 1084, or even 5160 and keep going. We'll help you all that we can.

Doug

Last edited by Doug Lester; 01-11-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:24 PM

thanks Doug. it cuts okay. the grind is not the greatest, a little thick. that was the only steel I had since I wanted to practice before buying steel. funds are tight for me since I just turned 17. I did just get in several feet of 1084 though and finally got my anvil. with exams and a long weekend coming up, I should be able to get one or two more done soon.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:30 PM
Steel Addict

Welcome and Congratulations!

Well done. The blade looks very clean as is the handle. Nice choice of handle material, it looks great.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Master

Great job! I think you've got it in you to make some outstanding knives! Keep at it

Old 01-12-2013, 07:34 AM

Yeah do-n-it!
You put a lot of effort and time into the RxR spike and it looks good, shows you have the desire and basic skills. You are off to avery good start. There should be several bladesmiths close to you that can help you along. Seek them out and get to know them. Won't regret the effort.
RxR spikes just not going to make a serious cutter no matter what you do. Just not enough carbon in the mix. If you just must use mystery steel from RxR scrap....pick up the big lock washers, they are spec'd to 1095. Have to learn a little more sophisticated HT, but will make very nice blades. Lot more material to them than meets the unknowing eye.
Now you got a little practice in, have at it with the 1084. Good steel to learn the basics on and still make a good knife. Looking forward to seeing future work.
Sheath looks a little bulky but very solid. Might try going with a lighter weight leather as you progress. Sheaths are an essential part of a working fix blade knife and ought to compliment as well as protect both blade and user. 7/8 is a good alround weight for most sheaths. Cruise down to the Sheath making forums here on KNF and read through the stickies. Lot of good info there as well.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
anvil, art, blade, brass, forged, forging, handle, knife, knife making, knives, leather, lock, made, make, making, material, pins, railroad spike, sheath, sheaths, steel, wood