MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
3rd Big Sky Hammer In...another success

Just returned from the 3rd Big Sky Hammer In at Josh Smith's place in Frenchtown, MT. If you weren't there, you really missed out.

I've attended many Hammer Ins, and without an exception, this is the best Hammer In around. Tim Hancock, Harvey Dean, and Larry Fuegen as demonstrators/instructors. Demos included Feather pattern damascus, carving, grinding, basic and advanced knife assembly, Silver Sheaths, and so much other stuff that even my head was swimming.

At the hammer in you are treated like a true guest. Drinks and snacks are always available, lunch on Saturday was catered and included chicken fried steak, with all the fix'ins, and dinner on Saturday night was about the best Prime Rib I've ever eaten (at the local country club).

Over the weekend four individuals tested for, and passed their ABS JS performance tests, and it was just an overall great time. With 10-15 ABS Mastersmiths attending, no matter who you are, there's lots of things to learn.

As for me, I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend, learned a great deal, and as always happens with me, I've got a bunch on new directions to take now. If there is any way you can, you need to attend THIS Hammer in......it is without a doubt the best Hammer In in the entire country!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 07-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Steel Addict

I echo everything Ed said and need to add that there was several pounds of black powder shot off. The bowling ball cannon is imprinted in my mind forever! If you guys like to shoot guns of any kind Friday was the day. The 300 yard target took a beating with everything flung at it including the 50 cal (at $5 per shot). Bill Burke had armor piercing bullets and poked holes through 1/4" steel plate. Five shot group with all holes nearly touching each other.

I now know how to make a silver sheath the right way thanks to Harvey Dean. I want to try carving now that I see how its done thanks to Larry Feugan. Harvey, Larry and Tim are real people and share their secrets so openly to us. Cant wait until next year.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Skilled

It was very cool for a new guy like me to be exposed to so many great knife makers in one place. Everyone was very helpful and encouraging to me. Great event over all, good food, and even the skeeters were well fed.
I joined the ABS today, and am hoping that when my 3 years are up, I will be ready to test for my JS stamp!
Too bad I missed the shoot, next year I will get there earlier and bring my toys too!
Old 07-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Skilled

Thumbs up I concur

Hi guys,

This was my very first hammer-in, so I do not have any reference points to compare with but I cannot imagine that any hammer-in could possibly be any better. My head is also swimming (drowning!) and my note book is full! Now, to put what I hope Iearned to use!

The $400.00+ gasoline bill was still worth every dollar, as far as I'm concerned. I got to chat with several of the
other master smiths in attendance and did a lot of brain pickin' to boot . It was also a thrill to watch the JS
testers complete and pass the tests. I get nervous just watching them; knowing that my turn will hopefully
come soon

It was good to see you again, Ed and Bruce, and it was nice meeting you, Tom.

Take care,
Dana
Old 07-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Skilled

Nice meeting you too Dana, it is great to put a name to a face!

Tags
knife