MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community

Knife Network Community TKN is all about excellence and sharing info. Our 'other' lives are also filled with stories, events, and opinions. This forum is an opportunity to discuss outside interests, personal experience, things that make us happy and things that don't!

Old 09-17-2006, 04:27 PM

Plastic Knives - a threat to air travel?

I'd never given it much thought... until 'my attractive wife' brought this one home from the grocery store. It's used to cut up iceberg lettuce but not turn the cut surfaces black like steel does. Weird!

Anyway, I'd sure hate to be attacked on an airplane by a bunch of terrorists with the likes of these. They'd be easy to conceal on one's person while passing through security.

A couple of weeks ago TSA officials forced me to relinquish a beautiful Ash pipe-hawk haft (value $30) which I'd won at a hammer-in. I wasn't checking any bags and only had my carry-on. I was told at the ticket counter it didn't exceed the length limits and therefore I could carry it on board in my camera bag. However, at the gate they had different ideas. "It could be used as a weapon" she said. So I had to turn it over. Boy was I miffed - but, Oh well....

I read in today's paper, in a column by Prarie Home Companion's Garrison Keelor, his concern that if some terrorist smuggles a bomb on board a plane inside his/her rectum, TSA will have to institute body cavity searches which would certainly kill off the commercial airline industry pretty quickly.

I've already started driving more, when I would've been flying. Even trips of +/- 1,000 miles one way seem doable compared to the hassles of traveling by air. The days of casual air travel are GONE!

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 09-17-2006, 07:32 PM
Skilled

My neighbor came home from a gun show with a fiber-reinforced plastic automatic knire. Looks just like your typical plastic-sided button-lock but it's an auto and the blade is very hard plastic and it could definitely be used as a stabbing instrument.

As far as airline checks go... I think all passengers should be issued non-leathal weapons and instruced that "If there's a problem take care of it. This plane doesn't turn back." Who's going to cause a problem on a flight when they know every other passenger is standing by to enforce order?

-Ben M.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:40 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
Buddy, I am with you.

I am driving absolutely any time it's possible. I resent the stupidity of regulations such as those requiring octegenarians in wheelchairs to remove their shoes (I saw two such instances this weekend on a flight to South Carolina), and the apparent total lack of authority to exercise reasonable judgement. Shipping knives ahead for a show is a pain, and checking them is an enormous risk considering how much luggage gets lost or misplaced.

Yup, I've about had enough.

Don

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 09-18-2006, 05:29 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Nothing one good Sky Marshall and a cattle prod couldn't handle.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

These regs are made by idiots, and they have nothing to do with safety at all. (Banning fingernail clippers? "Fly me to Cuba or I will clip your cuticles!" ??) Having a big list of banned items makes the morons in the public think that things are safe so that they will fly.

They've sold those "CIA" knives at gun shows for many years. They're not really any different than what prison inmates use to kill each other.

The only thing that really saves us (as passengers) is that most hijackers are morons. Their bosses may not be, but only a moron would purposely die just to become a news item.

What I hate worse than the aggravation is that all this stuff is just exactly what the bad guys want! They want us to fear them - a bunch of low-lifes that don't merit the use of a single brain cell - and we fall right into the trap, reminding ourselves over and over that they put us in danger.

Old 09-18-2006, 03:48 PM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Thomason
A couple of weeks ago TSA officials forced me to relinquish a beautiful Ash pipe-hawk haft (value $30) which I'd won at a hammer-in. I wasn't checking any bags and only had my carry-on. I was told at the ticket counter it didn't exceed the length limits and therefore I could carry it on board in my camera bag. However, at the gate they had different ideas. "It could be used as a weapon" she said. So I had to turn it over. Boy was I miffed - but, Oh well....
Well it is that time of the year again, time for the airline employee's to start doing that eary christmas shopping.

Ed

But steel - cold steel is master of them all.
Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)
Old 09-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Guru

The hijackings occured for one reason only, the government told people to sit down and be good sheep until it was over.

People will not do that now, if someone stands up with a bowie knife and says they are taking the plane over, everyone on board now assumes they are already dead, only choice is do thousands others die also. So, chances are, even with an unarmed compartment, the person trying to hijack will die before the plane lands.

Get rid of the regs, and safety will not change a bit. Hijackings are a thing of the past, knife or no knife.

If they really want to make the planes safer, design them with no door cockpit to cabin. Pilot enters through exterior door. Once on board, if there is any trouble communicated to them, they are directed to land at the nearest airport, where the feds will be waiting.

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 09-18-2006, 07:56 PM
Skilled

my wife and i flew from san diego a few months ago. we had a fun time going thru the security checks, the TSA got a training episode on our behalf. luckily there was plenty of time before the plane was scheduled to depart. as stated by the TSA inspectors our carryon backpack lite up the xray monitor like the washington d.c. 4th of july fireworks display.after more than 6 runs thru the xray machine and about 20 minutes of watching the TSA run around in circlesand dumping everything from the backpack.it was decided the 5 pieces of mineral specimens (lepedolite with tourmaline) was nothing to worry about. Buddy , i guess the 5 softball sized stones were not a threat as was your small wood stick.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:21 PM
Guru

Hah! I have a lot of minerals that will flouresce. Usually, UV light will do it, but the soft x-rays used in luggage scanners also will do it. I know the old-style x-ray systems would image this on the intensifying screens. I collect radioactive minerals. Back pre-9/11 I saw some of these go through one. Pretty spectacular looking. All the stray background radiation is imaged on the image screen so they looked like little sunbursts. Back then it was a novelty and the security guys thought it was cool looking. I can only imagine what I would have to go through now!

Old 09-19-2006, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Honestly, I'd be happiest if they let us all go on-board armed.

Just have a layer of armor plate to protect the pilots.

Oh, yeah, and remind me not to carry on any rock samples for Don!!

Old 09-20-2006, 08:22 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJack
These regs are made by idiots, and they have nothing to do with safety at all. (Banning fingernail clippers? "Fly me to Cuba or I will clip your cuticles!" ??)
Funny you should mention nail clippers. A mate of mine is a pilot with a major commerical carrier and he's not even allowed to take his nail clippers on. What's he going to do? Threaten himself that if he doesn't fly himself where he wants to go there'll be trouble?

Tags
blade, knife, knives, switchblade