MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Georgia Knifemaker's Guild

Georgia Knifemaker's Guild The Georgia Knifemaker's Guild. Furthering and fostering the passion of knives, knifemaking, and related interests

Old 01-02-2012, 07:28 AM
Enthusiast

Happy new Year!!

Good Morning Everyone! I hope that 2012 will be the best year ever for each one of you and that Santa helped make 2011 end well for you.

In a recent issue of blade, there was a photo of Wayne Hensley and a soldier he met at the Blade Show, and Wayne was giving this young man one of his knives. I have known Wayne for more years than either one of us would like to admit, and have to say that as much as I admire his knife making skills, I think I admire his patriotism and his generosity even more. I understand his feelings, and I'd like to encourage everyone who can, to do something similar to Wayne's gift.
Here in Columbus, as you know, Fort Benning is our "next door neighbor" and I have had the immense pleasure of meeting so many of those fine young men and women, while doing some Graphics work at Benning. Several years ago, I made a knife and donated it to one of the Ranger units, and it was received so well that I decided to do that at least once each year. Usually the knife is then given to honor a "soldier of the year", or sometimes the winner of a specific competition designed to highlight a particular set of skills. While I have not actually presented a knife...( I prefer to let the unit commander do that)....I have met and talked with some of the recipients, and am always awed by their dedication and patriotism. Additionally, this April will be the third year that I have made a set of 2 knives that are used as prizes in the "Best Ranger Competition" (the competition is made up of 2 man teams, so each man on the team gets a knife) .The Rangers in that competition are unbelievable, and they do things I can not even imagine. At the end of that 3 or 4 days they are all still smiling.
If you live near a Military base, or if you otherwise have access to men and women in uniform, donate a knife to honor a soldier who has volunteered to serve and watch him or her smile and say thank you! It is a really great feeling!
Old 01-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Steel Addict

Happy New Year to you too James. That is a great donation you are making. Thanks to all our soldiers and their families. May God bless them all.

Doug Adams
John 3:16
Old 01-03-2012, 06:51 AM

James, you are the Man! It is an honor to know you and count you as a friend. I try to do the same whenever the opportunity presents. The payback is phenominal to one's spirit. The good Lord gave us these talents and doesn't want them hid under a basket.

Happy New Years!

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
blade, knife, knife making, knives, military