MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Georgia Knifemaker's Guild

Georgia Knifemaker's Guild The Georgia Knifemaker's Guild. Furthering and fostering the passion of knives, knifemaking, and related interests

Old 12-20-2009, 11:11 AM

South Georgia Knife Makers

Hello

My name is Greg and I am from south Georgia. I am trying to find knife makers around this area but it appears that most of the members of the GCKMG are from the north Georgia area. If you know any down here (I am outside of Valdosta) please point me in their direction.

I have a powerfull hankering to start making knives and other tools (mainly knives). I am sure interacting with people who have been building for some time would help me make the learning curve a little easier.

Thanks
Greg
Old 12-20-2009, 08:58 PM

Hi Greg,
Welcome to the forum. Yes, we do have quite a few members up in the North Georgia area but there a folks down your way. Some are members and some are not. There is a fellow in Valdosta that goes by tommegow. Perhaps he will say hello. There are makers up around Macon, Columbus, Macon, Statesboro. I will be announcing the winter guild meeting in this forum this week and it will be in Statesborow. And it is open to non members also. So, stay tuned.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:31 AM

Greg
What Randy said. There are knifemakers in almost every town, you just have to hunt them down. They hide well (actually just stayed buried in their shops chasing the Knife Muse).
Hope you will try to make the Feb Guild meeting in Statesboro, lots of you flatlanders and swampers show up for this one. You'll meet some quality folks.

If you will pm me your email I'll get a good friend/maker over in Tifton to drop you a line.

It'd also help if you filled in your profile a bit.

Merry Christmas

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 12-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Skilled

Greg Charlie and I will be hosting the Gerogia Custom Knifemakers Guild meting at our shop on the last Saturday in February. You are welcome to come and participate.....and we will get you hooked if you aren't already! There will be a bunch of really good knife makers there that just love to spread the knowledge. Look for some more information in the next week or so about the meeting. You have found the right place!

Old 12-21-2009, 08:23 PM

Sounds like that will be alot of fun and give me a chance to learn.

Thanks
Greg
Old 12-23-2009, 09:00 AM
Skilled

Greg,

I am up the road a bit in Vienna right off I-75. You are welcome to stop by when you are in the area. Hope to meet you in Statesboro in Feb.

Joe Sangster
Old 12-23-2009, 06:22 PM

Thanks for the invatation, I will surely attempt to get up that way because from the pictures I seen of the knife with the pecan handle and the timber rattler sheath you do some very nice work and I could learn much.

I spoke with a fellow from up around Tifton last night and now I am even more excited than I already was !!!!!

Greg
Old 01-17-2010, 10:03 AM

I just wanted to let everyone know that I am still excited about knife making and really look forward to the meeting in Feb.

The reason I have been absent is that my wifes mother has been in the hospital and passed away this past wednesday night. But we have peace in the fact that she is in a better place.

My progress on my first knife has been slow but I am making some progess. I wasnt't sure about what scrap steel would be good and we have no local steel dealers that carry 01 so I ended up giving an old very large knife a new life. I did some research and found that it was made from 01 so I anneald it and cut it down to make a easier to use hunter out of it. I will post pictures soon.

Thanks
Greg
Old 01-18-2010, 06:49 AM

Very sorry for your family's loss Greg.
Never need to apologize for absense, we all have things in our lives that take priority.

I hope you can make it over for the meeting. Find me when you get there, I may be able to help you with the steel "source" issue.
Look forward to meeting you.

Trackrock Spring Hammer-in - March 19, 20 , 21
Blade Show - June 4, 5, 6
Table I-27

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
knife, knife making, knives