MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:57 AM
Steel Addict

New Guy Here

Hi there all, new to the forum. Little introduction and back ground (probably will end up being long so if you would like just skip to the last paragraph). I made my first knife about 5 years ago, atleast that's what I called it because it slightly resembled one. I was making a small bracket to fix something and just thought, "Hey I could make a knife, that would be cool."

Just when I began making knives that others also considered to look like a knives, I got married moved around a couple times and my knife passion took a 3 year break. I finally got my garage set back up and am making my way back full swing. All of my "knife specific" equipment "heat treat oven, grinder, etc..." is all hand made from whatever I can get ahold of. With some half decent parts that I'm beginning to acquire (couple actual contact wheels).

Hopefully while I continue to better my skills, get better equipment and learn new things (going to start my first engraving experience soon, I figured it would take a few years to really get decent enough to start doing it on knives lol), I will be able to learn, possibly contribute, and if nothing else hang out and enjoy other knife nuts.

Heres an example of one I just finished.

For now and the future, any advice comments or questions are much welcome and appreciated!
Old 04-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Welcome to the forums! Fill out your profile so we know where you are, might be somebody near you.

Interesting sheath design - how does it fit that knife? Would like to see the knife in the sheath.

Nice design and workmanship on the knife but it does look like it might be handle heavy - is it? Have you used it really hard to see how it performs ergonomically as well as how well it cuts?

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-14-2012, 07:27 PM
Steel Addict

oops, Post was one of my first and had to be approve so i double (sorry) but...

The knife is actually well balanced, it's a full tang but the tang has been drilled out for balancing purposes because of all the brass, also the handle is on the thin side to reduce weight as well, ill try to take some pictures and post them, I don't have any of the spine at this moment. As far as the sheath goes, fits great (see below) made specifically for the knife.

Brass Hunter 1.jpg

I've done some light cutting with it so far bunches of paper, leather etc. will be testing it a little more rigorously very soon

Tags
beginning, brass, design, full tang, handle, heat treat, hunter, knife, knives, leather, post, sheath, tang