MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you, Mr. Johnson

I know I've already posted comments on other threads about how wonderful your "Sub-hilt Fighter" dvd is, but I watched it again (probably for the 4th or 5th time now) and I'm amazed at how many things I catch the next time around!

This video has moved my grinding skills forward by an order of magnitude, and I just wanted to once again say "thanks"!

This dvd set is likely as important to me as Barney and Loveless' book "How to Make Knives".

THANK YOU STEVE!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-18-2008, 11:41 PM

Thank you, very much, Matt. I hope the dvd is of some use. It was fun to make, but a lot of work, lots of things had to be addressed that I hadn't even considered when we started thinking of the project. Some things ought to be different, I know, but for a firs effort I think it turned out OK. Thanks again!

P.S. May I ask what's the deal with that cute little piranha on your avatar? Interesting........
Did you spend some time in So. America, Brazil, perhaps?

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift

Last edited by Steve; 01-18-2008 at 11:46 PM. Reason: changes
Old 01-19-2008, 06:58 AM
Enthusiast

It's a bit of a parody of myself, Steve... one of the guys I work with likened me to a piranha, as I'm all mouth and no body! (6' 2" and 148 lbs). Normally on forums I use a picture of my puppy, but for whatever reason I used the old piranha picture here.

Interesting thoughts on the evolution of the dvd... if there was one thing you could add, or change, what would it be? Or are you saving that tidbit for the "How to Make a Loveless Style Drop Point Hunter" dvd (hint-hint, nudge-nudge)?

Old 01-20-2008, 02:12 AM

That'll be the next dvd, I'm sure. More emphasis on safety, try to get more close-ups of great quality, an on/off for the background music, perhaps. I don't know. What would you suggest, to make it as good as possible?

NRA Endowment Member
Old 01-20-2008, 11:51 PM

my 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
That'll be the next dvd, I'm sure. More emphasis on safety, try to get more close-ups of great quality, an on/off for the background music, perhaps. I don't know. What would you suggest, to make it as good as possible?
Steve, I'll add my thanks as well. The Sub-Hilt video is hands downs the best How to: video that I've seen. I'm glad to hear that another is being considered. A Drop Point video would be great and then a folder for the third in this series

A couple of things I'd add to the wish list:
  • Shop Tour - with brief overview of shop layout for work flow as well as safety covering items like vacuum system, filters, resperators etc...
  • Proper storage of different materials - wood, horn etc...
  • Cover mistake recovery aka: redesigning on the fly.(this could be video number 4)
  • The music doesn't bother me but I'd like it if I could hear your comments better and the grinder a little less (I view this in my basement theater( 120" screen) picture quality at this size is much better than expected but but the sound..... well let,s say that the grinder is in the room!)
Old 01-20-2008, 10:26 AM
Enthusiast

More hot chicks, of course!

It's funny how the background music seemed to polarize people's views of the dvds... doesn't really seem to bother me, although I will admit it gets a pinch old.

You might consider setting up a large mirror above your head so that the camera can have a bird's-eye view of your grinding (like cooking shows use for demonstration purposes). I know, for myself, one of the hardest things for me to overcome with grinding was what it should look like while I'm doing it. The over-the-shoulder shotss on the sub-hilt dvds worked, but overhead might be better.

Might not be a bad idea to show how you break in your magic cork belt, too!

Old 01-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Skilled

Not meaning to hi-jack a thread, but I was hoping I could get an answer about the video. I've read alot were the video has improved people's grinding, and I was wondering if it dealt with double grinds too? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:37 PM
Skilled

Ryan, the video IS all about double grinding. You can"t find any better info anywhere. Steve does a wonderful job of explaining everything. Trav

Old 01-21-2008, 10:00 AM

Thank You, Alll. I'm Sure The Gene And I Will Refer To These Suggestions When We Get Going On The Next Dvd.

Cover mistakes recovery??????? Huh? Now what could you possibly mean by that??? The only mistake I ever made was that one time when I thought I was wrong!!! (Just ask my wife!) Well, maybe one other time, or another, or another, ............
My policy re; mistakes is: "Don't worry, you can always make a smaller knife!" Maybe that's why almost all my knives are pretty small.............lol

Thank you, every one, really. I hope that next time we can hit a homer. Thanks for all the good reports on this one. Always room for improvement.

NRA Endowment Member

Last edited by Steve; 01-21-2008 at 10:04 AM.

Tags
knife, knives