MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 05-22-2006, 09:26 PM
Steel Addict

Sandy Morrissey, you're the best!

What do you get when one former WWII Naval Enlisted Pilot (and gentleman) named Sandy Morrissey and 4 WWII Theater Knives get together? Well I got four of the best knife sheaths available!!!!!

Thanks Sandy, you are a gentleman, and a true friend.

Sandy, my friend, I patiently await the other 5 knives; I hope your Doctor survives the onslaught!!!

Old 05-22-2006, 09:55 PM

Tim,
I got to inspect and handle each of these knives a short while back when I was visiting my dear friend Sandy. Although not the prettiest knives I've seen, they hold a certain historical majic that can't be explained. Very good examples of what man can do with limited resources. Function over art, yet art in their on right. I'm sure they have their stories to tell and hope the memories have not been lost in time.

I still have my dad's survival pack that he carried on every sortie off the deck of the Essex (includes the Case XX bolo machete). Thank God he never had to use it. Got his issue Colt too. His primary craft was the Corsair during the war. Sandy probably had his hands on my dad's plane at some time or the other. Very small world indeed.

I treasure Sandy's friendship just a much as I treasure thoes items of my dad's. Some things cannot be measured in wordly terms.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 05-22-2006, 11:00 PM
Skilled

Sandy; Beautiful detail finish and each sheath fits the personality of it's particular knife. As usual, YOU DONE GOOD>>>>VERY GOOD!!!

Tim seeing those old knives takes me back to my boyhood days. I was about 10 years short of old enough for WW 2, but that style of stacked transparent and translucent handle material was kind of the "custom" knife trend in the early and mid forties. Thanks for showing them.

Edited to add: I had to go back and look at the knives and sheath detail some more and then I noticed the background you chose for the photos. Ther's quite a basket of memories just in the photo background. I REALLY thank you for sharing that with us.

Paul

Paul Long-- 108 Briarwood Ln. W.-- Kerrville, Texas 78028-- Ph. 830 367 5536--- pfl@cebridge.net

Last edited by sheathmaker; 05-23-2006 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:32 AM

Thumbs up Sandy for president!

Those are some very representative examples of that era. The sheath's have just the right amount of work to display them.

Congrats to ALL!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 05-23-2006, 05:58 AM
Master

Wonderful work Sandy!

Whats the story on this type of knife? something made by soldiers durring war time?
Fill me in guys....

Gary

Gary Blessing,
Ex-custom knife maker, Ex-Folder modifier & embelisher.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:51 AM
Skilled

Tigre, Here's what I think I remember about the time. I was just eight years old when Pearl Harbor rolled around. I do remember many examples of this type knife, however.
Back then the custom knife and custom Knife makers as we know them today were very few and far between. Either that or they were not known as they are today due to our lightning fast commuications. Any way there were a lot of "home made" knives and rehandled factory knives, KaBar, Camillus, etc. and I guess in order to set an otherwise "just like the next one" knife apart the "Lucite" stacked handle became very popular with not only the over seas bound GIs, but nearly every one. The GIs would take them over seas to the various "theatres" of war, hence the name they carry today. I guess probably a significant number may have been rehandled by the indvidual GI, because most bases had a really good "hobby" shop, well equipped for the personnel where something like this could be done and occupy their time at the same time. Well, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Paul

Paul Long-- 108 Briarwood Ln. W.-- Kerrville, Texas 78028-- Ph. 830 367 5536--- pfl@cebridge.net
Old 05-23-2006, 07:58 AM
Hall of Famer

These guys have said it all Sandy, just keep them coming for everyone to enjoy!

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 05-23-2006, 09:20 AM
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the memories, guys. The knives, sheaths and the backgrounds.

I remember well those old knives with stacked plexiglass handles. I had one I used as a boy scout and later for hunting.

Sandy, that's quite a display of different styles of sheaths. Each one suits its partner. Very different than the ones you have made for me and my customers.

I like them all.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:20 AM
Steel Addict

Guys,

Whats really fun and exciting is that Sandy still has 5 theater knives of mine that he is making sheaths for!!! I can't wait to see them...now if only I can learn how to take quality photographs so I can showcase Sandy's work even better.

Old 05-24-2006, 05:44 AM
Master

ahhh, Thanks Paul!

Gary

Gary Blessing,
Ex-custom knife maker, Ex-Folder modifier & embelisher.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:24 PM

coastie

I was aboard the cutter Macinaw 62'-66' and now I'm trying to refurbish knives & make sheaths. STILL LOOKING FOR ANTLER DYE??
Old 05-27-2006, 06:49 PM
Steel Addict

Antler Dye

Try this: potassium permanganate; a powder that you mix. Wear rubber gloves or else your hands will turn purple.

I first enlisted in the Navy in 1970; and was in the Coast Guard from 75-01. The Mac is being replaced; finally being retired.

Old 05-27-2006, 07:40 PM

Jim,
The pottasium permanganate will give you a nice brown color but eventually turn a greyish green with time and sunlight. Try a little Fleibigs (sp) leather dye light brown or tan first then the pot. perm. The brown to slight red will be permanent then.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 05-28-2006, 05:57 PM

Tim, like you, I'm drawn to the theater knives -- so much history in each of them ! And I also agree, no one beter to re-sheath these beauties than Sandy Four unique sheaths for four unique knives -- what a great display !

Mike

Old 05-28-2006, 09:58 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Theater knives, if correct, should be one that is made in the theater of war. Idealy it would be made from items scrounged on site,ie: the plexeglass and aluminum cut from a downed Jap Zero with the blade fasioned from the hari cari knife carried by the kamakazi pilot.

Aluminum was very scarce during the war. Shorty before that it was considered a semi precious metal. Aluminum for knife handles took a hit the same way diamondwood did thru over use on cheap imports and fell out of favor. In reality there is no mo' betta' material for knife hardware than aluminum. Light, tough and rust free, combined with plexiglas or micarta....perfect!

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives