MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Damascus Forum

The Damascus Forum The art and study of Damascus steel making.

Old 10-07-2004, 03:20 PM
Enthusiast

pure nickle mixed in cutting edges

The advice you recieved on this subject is vey good.
Pure Ni will not harden it also presents some structural problems depending on how it is patterned. Typically it makes a pretty but inferior blade. With one exception. Years ago wyane Valcovik use to make what he called high density damascus . Sorry about the spelling . He used some very thin pure ni and layered to about 30,000 layers . What you saw in the finished product was a large pattern consisting of bundles of layers. The pattern was so fine it always keept some carbon steel on the cutting edge. Low layerd pattern welded material wil only be as tough as the soft structure. You see a lot of modern mosaic patterns laced with pure nickle if those elements are in contact across the blade pattern they will not make a serious blade. The cure is to use a center core of suitable steel and make the clading as you please. Then you have a serious knife. Wall hangers sell very well . you have to chose the legacy of your work. Are you a knife maker or a maker of knife like objects
Just a thought
schwarzer
Old 10-07-2004, 04:37 PM
Master

i asked a question in another thread " 1085 / nickel " of why we don't see more A203E used in billets . with .18% carbon in it the above problem doesn't exist - does it ? i have a knive i made with a 160 layer count of 1084 and A203E that looks great - although i must admit i don't use it much , it kind of goes with my muzzleloading out fit and i use it to " show off " . it welded up nice with no shunts or anything - admiral steel carries it for a good price - so why don't more people use it ? is 15n20 that much better ? paul

http://www.phforge.com

Old 10-07-2004, 04:57 PM
Master

Jim Hristoulas uses some A203E, but if you use it you need to be careful to minimize carbon migration. With .18 carbon in it and approx .84 carbon in the 1084, with even layers and not counting decarb you'd average .51 carbon. You could lessen that by using thicker layers of the 1084 or more layers of it.

Old 10-08-2004, 06:55 AM
Enthusiast

nickle

Paul; L6/15n20 is far superior in cutting ability in the mix. I am of the belief that you don't put anything in a blade that won't make a good blade in itself. that these guys have recommended it and you see so many makers with that in the mix should give you an idea of how good it works.
mike

Old 10-09-2004, 01:44 PM
Master

the reason i wanted some opnions is that at one time i ordered 20' of 1/4 x 1" of the 203e , and i still have 14' or so left . my combination was giving me in the lows.60s for carbon content . think i'll roll it out to about 1/8 to boost the total carbon content . read one time that moran liked 1018 and 01- so with the 203 having about the same carbon i should get a decent knife . have to test to see . paul

http://www.phforge.com

Tags
blade, knife