MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 04-26-2005, 06:40 PM

Question How would you like this Gallery to be used?

Hello all!

Please give some thought as to how you would like to see this Randall Gallery used. Then feel free to offer your suggestions on this thread. All ideas are welcome!

Thanks!

David

Old 04-26-2005, 07:28 PM
Steel Addict

If we could have a thread per model.... and keep the images sorted out, that would be great....... and a thread for each of the dealer specials.

It would be some work for the mods to move stray posts into the correct thread, but in the long run it would be a great resource......

My .02
Old 04-26-2005, 07:36 PM

Hi Tune,

I think this is a great idea! This way all of the photos will be easily accessable. Not like that "Model of the Week" thing that some jerk came up with

Best,

Ron
Old 04-26-2005, 07:52 PM
Steel Addict

Yeah..... what a dumb idea..... that never did get off the ground.

I can see this becoming a good resource, but it would require some editing to try to keep the nomenclature consistent and keep the posts in the right threads.

I?m pretty excited about the new forum?? we can make this a ?poster? owned forum.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:56 PM
Steel Addict

model of the week

Hey I liked the model of the week and thought the guy who came up with that was one smart hombre.
Panhead
Old 04-26-2005, 09:57 PM

Hey Panhead,

You were wrong about that one:

http://www.knifeforums.com/ubbthread...b=5&o=&fpart=1

I have to give Mr. J.Clarksnakes credit for almost singlehandedly keeping those threads going for several years. Thanks you Mr. Snakes! You've done a great service to so many collectors.

Best,

Ron
Old 04-27-2005, 12:01 AM

I like the model related thread for pictures too. It fits with the way the Randall catalog is organized and those threads seemed to never die. When I first started posting on the old forum it was in those threads. It's a place where people like me who aren't that knowledgable about Randall minutia, but who love the knives and want to be involved can comfortably enter. Some of you guys have long-term, familiar realtionships - which is great! - but which can allow a newbie to feel like a bit of an outsider as they read through the posts. I felt that way for a while but the per model image threads were the perfect way for me to test the waters. Seems like things are going well so far over here. Very cool!
BT
Old 04-27-2005, 06:04 AM
Steel Addict

I always wished there was a reference guide to Randalls on the internet. Cataloguing the models on the Gallery will be most beneficial to all Randall collectors, old or new. I would suggest organizing the threads into decades first (or WW2, Vietnam era,Korean War era, Disco era, Rave era, Desert Storm era,
Millenium etc.., then sub catagorize by model, then by type ie: Standards, Tenites, Micarta, Cstom...etc..

It will be easy, just let Moose do it!

OH YA! I forgot, what about a section for sheaths as well?? (most important reference to Randall collecting) :confused:

Last edited by thewap; 04-27-2005 at 06:07 AM.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:15 AM
Enthusiast

I like all the ideas?

This forum shouldn?t have any more than a certain number of fixed posts after enough time, i.e., a model 1 thread, model 2 thread, etc. And the mods, if possible, could rearrange the posts so that Model 1 comes up first in the forum all the way through the last specials or non-catalogs, whatever, etc.

But then, added to that and working concurrently could be Era posts, like Wap describes (a good idea)?broken down by however the experts think it should be, e.g., late 30s, early 40s, late 40s, WWII Service, Korea Service, Vietnam Service, etc? all the way through early 00s.
AND each knife would show up in BOTH places, in the Era threads and in the appropriate Model thread as well (yes, there will be two listings of the knives, but hey, it would be cool if the mods could manage it).

And I was also thinking we could do Sheath threads as well, not a whole lot of them, but, say, e.g., a thread for early Brown Button, a thread for smooth-back Johnson, and everything in between, before, and after, etc? (One reason for this, for me, anyway, is that I sometimes don?t take pics of the knives with the sheaths, but DO often take pics of the sheaths separately).

Also, like Tune mentions, we should keep the nomenclature similar and each poster should be requested to add certain information to the post, i.e., year of manufacture (if known, or guess) the knife configuration (metals, etc.).

I?m loving this guys, Gary

Ps. just so you guys know?there appears to be a really long ?edit? time for posts, e.g., I was just able to add another knife to my ?Models 5? thread (an Angier?s setup I got just yesterday), in the original post via editing, a day after originally posting. It would be cool to keep this long edit time for this specific forum (if not for the others as well?but it might be confusing in the normal forums (what with people changing their posts after others have responded to it already, nulling the responses?but that?s another discussion)).

Last edited by escapement; 04-27-2005 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:14 PM
Registered

Congrats to the motivated people looking to carve out a new venue for all the RMK addicts. I would prefer to keep the gallery as simple as possible. Dividing it only in terms of model numbers, specials, etc. One thread per #, regardless of era/dates. I think it will be easier to navigate, but also it would make the jobs of the moderators much easier (its time consuming enough allready), and things would be less likely to fall apart over the long term. Besides, for some of the catagories proposed Im sure there would be a very limited number of submissions.

I agree that the threads should be arranged to cover all the model #'s sequentially.
I also agree that posters should be asked to submit as much info as they can on each knife posted.

And please insert a thread for scrimmed/engraved/museum grade RMK's. It would be great to have all of those knives in one place, regardless of model #'s etc.

For all the people new to this hobby it would be great if each of the different threads had an introductory paragraph by one of the Mods just giving a brief description of the knife in question. Those intros could be expanded to include historical references, descriptions of standard configurations and possible options available from the shop. That would cut down on a lot of the questions asked by people new to RMK's and also a lot of the redundency.
(*Maybe there could be a FAQ thread)

Speaking of the shop, a thread up-dateable only by the moderators should keep visitors up to date with any changes in policy or other new from the randall shop. It could be called something like "News from the shop"

Once the moderators have established a format as far as how the threads will be organized, no one ('cept the mods) should be able to post new threads, we sould just post in or browse the existing ones ...lets not let the gallery become a jumbled mess of threads!

Oh one more thing- It would be great to have "Randalls in Action" or "RMK field tests" thread, where people who use thier knives can post pics and discuss how these great knives actually preform. I have some great pics and ideas for that thread.

Well after rereading my own post Ill ammend my earlier advice and say I guess theres no way to 'keep it simple', but please keep it as simple as possible. good luck

Old 04-27-2005, 07:22 PM

Buddy, Gary, Marc, Gamble:

Your inputs are appreciated. We're huddling to come up with something that works for most and yet is fairly simple to manage. Back to you soon.

Best,

Ron
Old 04-28-2005, 08:11 AM
Enthusiast

Maybe era threads are too redundant?i.e., having knives show up in two threads.

BUT?

Wouldn?t it be nice to have a Randall Knife ?dating? mechanism of some sort here?e.g., maybe spacer and blade grinds/profile threads? I.e., threads for all the eras (broken down in the most logical way?whatever: late 30s, early 40s, late 40s, early 50s, late 50s, etc.) with pics/ posts in the threads showing examples of knives from those eras (with details on the spacer config and the blade profile and whatever else helps date the knife, i.e., stones, sheaths, etc.).

Would that be cool, or what? Even better, a separate forum for dating Randalls. But if not a separate forum, then just add the era threads after all the Models threads.

I do understand that a moderators job here must be *really* time consuming, what with all the activity and all, but wouldn?t that be nice?

Gary

Tags
blade, knife, knives