MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 05-31-2001, 10:22 PM
KandSKNIVES

PURCHASE 5160

MR CAFFREY, I WOULD LIKE TO TRY SOME OF THIS 5160 STEEL. I BELEIVE I WILL GRIND SOME BLADES BEFORE TRYING TO FORGE THIS STEEL AND TRY THE TRIPLE QUENCH AND THE TRIPLE DRAW. I CAN GET THE STEEL IN 1/4 THICKNESS, BUT I WOULD LIKE TO START WITH 3/16 OR 1/8 THICKNESS. WHERE CAN I PURCHASE IN THESE THICKNESS'. I HAVE FOUND A PLACE TO BUY 1/8 5168, IS THIS A COMPARABLE STEEL AS 5160 AND DOES IT WORK THE SAME. AS ALWAYS YOUR HELP AND ADVICE IS MUCH APPRECIATED.

KEN
Old 06-01-2001, 06:29 AM
Ed Caffrey

Hi Ken!
I don't have a source for 5160 thinner than 1/4", and I would be cautious of folks who claim they have it in 1/8". Unless it's rerolled after purchase, it's likely to be something else. I say this becasue the major producers of 5160 usually don't make runs of anything less than 1/4". If you do purchase stock that is 1/8", make sure they give you a spec sheet with it! I have know steel dealers to pawn off other types of steel saying it's this or that. If they tell you they can't or won't send you a spec sheet with your order, don't buy it, chances are very good your getting the old bait and switch!
5168 is nearly identical to 5160, just a touch more carbon, which should not alter how you produce a blade. I'll tell from the start, you will not get the same performance from a stock removal 5160 blade that you will a forged one. The forging process and the multiple quench make all the difference in the world.
I purchase all my 5160, 52100, 1084 and 15N20 from Swain Spring Service here in Great Falls, MT. Here's their number..... 1-800-378-1246. Talk to Jeff or Jim.
Let us know how things go with the 5160.
Old 06-01-2001, 08:59 AM
KandSKNIVES

THANKS ED,FORGING MY OWN BLADES HAS BEEN MY DREAM FOR A WHILE. I AM JUST NOW GETTING THE TOOLS TOGETHER TO BE ABLE TO DO THIS. I HAVE A SLOW LEARNING CURVE AND FORGING BLADES IS NEW FOR ME. I SPENT ALMOST 3 YEARS ON L-6, THE L-6 I HAVE IS HARDENED TO AROUND 70 RC. IT TAKES 3 CYCLES OF NORMALIZING AND SOME TIMES 3 CYCLES OF ANNEALING. I LIKE TO FIND HOW A STEEL GRINDS. L-6 IS A GOOD STEEL, BUT HARD TO SHARPEN FOR THE AVERAGE PERSON. I BELEIVE 5160 WILL BE BETTER AND EASIER TO SHARPEN.
THANK YOU SIR FOR YOUR INPUT AND ADVICE.

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife