MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 06-05-2005, 10:40 PM
Skilled

Blade Show finds and Tales

Ok guys, tell us about and show us your new treasures from the Blade Show. Also tell us about near misses. I understand that there were hundreds and hundreds of Randalls there of all descriptions. Sorry I had to miss it again. Maybe next year. After y'all get rested up, we've got to get back to completing the design for our "Hunter" too. I hope everyone had a great time and met many new Randall friends!

Seussbrother
Old 06-07-2005, 07:55 PM
Skilled

Seuss,
First of all: "Kudos" to the Randall shop for going that little "extra" for me and, of course, for all the folks that planned on seeing me at the Blade show. (Boy: How miserable their lives must be to be looking forward to seeing your's truly!). Anyway: At 5:00 P.M., on Thursday evening, I was loading my Randall knife order in the Suburban and getting ready to head out to Hotlanta, from the Randall shop itself! A real 11th hour push and for that, again, my thanks.
Terrible thunderstorms and wind found me making it as far as Macon, Ga. by 2:00 A.M. I checked into a motel and, of course being late all the way, did not get to the blade show until around 3;30 P.M. on Friday! I set up on the end of Perry's display, which, by the way, was very impressive! He was sellin' old miniatures like they were "FREE"!! Thanks to you Perry, for giving me a place to light. Many deliveries later, and a handful of "other deals" and I was "out of there" by 6:00 p.m.!!
I did buy 2 pieces of fossil walrus from my buddy, Duke McCaa. Great pieces with a lot of "character". Ron, aka "Boblade", stopped by and showed me a show-stopper ol' Model #3 that he picked up. Several other folks stopped by and I apologize if I didn't get a chance to visit longer with everyone. Just not enough hours in a day.
Scott Maynard (Randall's shop production manager) and his lovely wife, Gail, stopped by. I visited with Tom Clinton, Pete Hamilton, and Bob Gaddis before leaving. The show was extremely well-attended and folks were spending. My buddy, Gene Beal, who sets up with me at Florida shows and who I get all of my ivory from, said that he was knocking em' out of the ball park all day! Of course, even though the entire visit was no more then 5 or 10 minutes, it was great to see Mitchell (Tunefink) and Joan! They are the type of folks Randall collecting needs!
Anyway: That is a very short and limited opinion of how it was going and went for me. I sold out of available Randall knives in less than 1/2 hour!! Hope other folks "pipe" in and Boblade shows some pics of his "find"!! Best for now, Seuss, Captain Chris Stanaback

P.S. I agree that we need to get that "hunter" deal done soon!! CCS

Last edited by The "Captain"; 06-07-2005 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:17 PM
Skilled

Well, some big disappointments in that post Cap.
I was looking forward to your Randall yard sale this coming weekend.
Perry almost giving away minis?
You only got to see Mitchell and Joan for 5 minutes.
At your age, you know better than to drive after sundown.
You didn't see Moose?
Sorry it took you soooo long to sell out this time. 1/2 an hour is a long time for you to work without a break.

Ron, can't wait to see that #3.

Seussbrother
Old 06-07-2005, 08:34 PM

Cap'n / Seussbro,

Mitchell and Joan were kind enough to take my new baby home with them and then ship it out yesterday. Last year I carried back a nice knife in my checked baggage and when I arrived it had a notice saying it had been opened and inspected. You can imagine my thoughts. Luckily it was still there. I didn't want to take that chance again. I'll post a photo shortly after it arrives here.

Ron
Old 06-07-2005, 08:46 PM
Skilled

Allan,
The last Blade show (2004) I sold out in 12 minutes, but I didn't have to write as many knives up for "new" customers". That takes a great deal more time when you are as "clerically challenged" as I! As far as driving after dark: Man, when ya' live out as far as I do, ya' just can't get anywhere "before" dark, and ya' sure can't get there...and "back"!!
Perry was "not" giving minis away, he was selling them "LIKE" they were free! They "WERE NOT", or course, free! O.K., now you know the rest of the story!! Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

P.S. Chuck Marshall, Billy Kirkley and Mark, Kenny Lambert, and of course, the "Crimson Tide man" and Dianne: Good to see all of you folks too!! I know that this thread could have me re-posting folks that I had forgotten time and time again, but I'll just say my "sorrys" now to the others. CCS

Old 06-08-2005, 05:10 PM

Here's my find at Blade. I've been lucky 3 years running. I'll be back again.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4-7 Tranny 1a.jpg (47.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 4-7 Tranny 4a.jpg (45.8 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by BoBlade; 06-10-2005 at 12:56 AM.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:21 AM

Hello all!

I'm happy to report that I arrived safely back home on Tuesday night.

This was my first time attending the Blade Show, and although I was looking forward to meeting my RMK friends for the first time, and hopefully being able to snag some Randalls, my expectations were FAR surpassed!

The show itself was spectacular, and I was delighted to meet so many of you who participate on the Knife Network and Knifeforums, and other great people who don't.

In first name alpha order, it was my distinct pleasure to meet:

Bill Callahan,
Bob Gaddis,
David Lee (and his fabulous collection of BIG Bears),
Dave L. (BladesNBarrells, formerly known as AutoCurious)),
Doug (Silverknife) and his lovely wife Jean-Marie,
Gaetan Beauchamp (Quebec Scrimshander extraordinaire, whose work will no doubt be shown by Silverknife on the Randalls he received at the show.)
Gary Howie,
Gilbert E.,
Greg Gutcher,
Jim "Treeman" Behring and his son James,
Joe D. (CrutchTip),
Mike Stewart,
Mitchell H. (Tunefink) and his lovely wife Joan,
Perry Miller and his lovely wife Marie,
Rhett and his lovely wife Janie - Get well soon!,
Rick Ward,
Rod B. (clk) and his lovely wife Denyse,
Ron M. (BoBlade),
Ronnie (Jeep),
Scott Maynard (RMK Shop Supervisor)
Steve M. (SteveM),
Steve Peters,
Tom Clinton and his son Gary

What a wonderful group of folks in the world of Randalls, and I apologize if I have left anyone out.

I was also disappointed to have missed the opportunity of meeting Bill Castleberry, Buddy Thomason, Captain Chris, Jeff (JClarkSnakes), Pat (Byrdguy), and Wayne M. (Crimsontide). There were just too many things happening, and the time just flew right by.

I would also like to thank the Mary Lutz and the rest of the staff at the Blade Show, as well as those at the Renaissance Waverly Hotel whose warm hospitality contributed to making my stay in Atlanta a really pleasurable experience.

As well, during the over 2,600 miles that I drove (including a side trip along the Blue Ridge Parkway - Spectacular!)), I had not one unpleasant experience. Everyone I spoke to was friendly and helpful.

The only negatives were occasional inconsiderate and dangerous truck #######, and one boor who let two doors slam in my face while going into a motel to "demand" more "pillars" from the taciturn lady behind the desk. However, I did get a laugh out of her afterwards by mentioning that the fellow would be most annoyed because she gave him pillows instead of what he asked for.

I also discovered that Mount Airy, NC, a small town in the middle of nowhere just happens to be the town where Andy Griffith grew up and was the inspiration for the TV show. As I whizzed by Aunt Bea's BBQ, Floyd's Barbershop, and the Mayberry Jail on my way to the Blue Ridge Parkway, I realized that the world may have changed, but most people are still great human beings.

And oh yeah!

I managed to pick up three mighty fine Randalls, but more about these another time.

David

P.S. I was fortunate enough to see and handle Ron's great find! The "Spaced out" dude was in spacer heaven!

Last edited by Moosehead; 06-09-2005 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:52 PM
Enthusiast

Moosehead,

I only saw the one knife you had, were you holding out on me?

It was good getting to meet all the Randall lovers. What a terrific bunch. Let's see those knives.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:18 PM
Skilled

Welcome back guys! Sounds like a great time was had by all. I'm glad you got to meet such a boatload of Randall collectors and I can't wait to see the treasures. Ron got another great old knife to add to his collection. Please see the pictures of this beauty! I wish I had 5% of his knowledge of the old ones. They are really special! I guess even ol' dumb me would have noticed the nine spacers (if I remember correctly) and known something was up with that knife.

Seussbrother
Old 06-10-2005, 12:55 AM

Hi Allan,

Just a point of clarification (or possibly more muddying of the water):

In his book, Pete calls these spacers "two thin reds". However, I had an exchange with Bob Hunt a while ago and he believes they are actually one spacer with a "divider" if you will, and Crutchtip holds the same opinion. I'm not going to tear a knife apart in an attempt to find out, so until there is proof one way or another I'm in Bob and Joe's camp. You don't see too many of these spacers. My Dad's knife has them (see photo) and it was a long time before I saw another.

Best,

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40's 3-6a.jpg (48.4 KB, 75 views)
Old 06-10-2005, 09:08 PM
Steel Addict

Hi guys, and welcome back. Sounds like you all had a great time. The show reports from fellow collectors are impressive.. Sorry I miss it
Also sounds like Moose milked it for all it's worth! Don't hold out too long MOOSE bring 'em on, bring 'em out!

Boblade, another stunner! great spacers, and really great handle. Congrats!.

Old 06-11-2005, 04:41 PM

I'm afraid it's been too #### hot for me to take decent photos of my newest Randalls. I'll just have to wait until it cools off in a few days. I'm worried the blades will melt if I take them outside to photograph.

Moosehead

Tags
blade, knife, knives