MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 09-11-2005, 06:25 PM
Master

Chicago Show review

Well it was a very fun weekend. Lots of big names hanging out, just looking at other makers work. Met Lloyd Hale just walking the floor talking to old friends and making new ones. The caliber of work shown was outstanding. And meeting makers like Lloyd and Ron Lake and Virgil England was a great thrill to say the least. Lots of door prizes, awesome knives were given away also. Many people walked away with some very nice knives.

TKN forumites Don Cowles and Charles Kain Don Guild were on hand. It was a good thing to get to meet people I had not seen in a few years or had only spoken to by email or on the phone. If you have never been to a major show, there is nothing else like it, if it's chatting with Owen Wood or giving Ron Lake a hard time. It really gives you a sense of community, and family.

As for how it went for the makers, I saw a lot of knives going out the door the first day as the room was packed the whole day. Most of the big names sold out quickly, and spent the rest of the show talking with collectors and BSing with their friends and fellow makers. There was an air of anticipation, and optimisim. I saw a lot more fixed blades being sold but the high end folders were getting up and walking themselves out also.

The thrill for me was meeting Don Bell and his son Christopher. Like most knife makers there are very nice persons and willing to talk to you about their work and not act like you are wasting their time by not focusing on what they had on their table.

Day two tapered off in the early afternoon. Feelings were mixed, mostly well it wasn't as good as last year, but then again with rising gas prices and dwindling economy it was to be expected. I feel that most makers did well enough that they will be back next year. I could be wrong.

I know I will be there ;-)

Paul Vandine
Old 09-12-2005, 02:44 AM
Steel Addict

Well even though I did not occupy a table at this years show, I did have a very enjoyable and educational time. A few thanks I would like to toss out... first to David Broadwell, always the first to deliver some constructive critisizm. He was the first to help me out, and at the end of the day, gives some insight as to what may need to be changed. Ray Cover is right in there with him. Next would be Allen Elishewitz. Very sociable and willing to dicuss the knife making community in genral and in depth from a makers standpoint. Next would be Bob Cumming. One hell of a nice guy, pushing my knives from the very beginning; Thanks man, I owe ya one. I had a nice conversation with Mr. and Mrs. Des horn about etching gibeon meteorite among other things. Very nice people. Vernie Reed, and I feel so bad because I can't remember the name of the maker right next door to him, Oliver......I think?...... and just 7 miles down the road from him, (sorry man, I'm really bad with names) Anyway, these two guys gave me a killer verbal course in hot blueing. Both of their knives I feel are stunning. And last but not least are about 10 other guys and gals( If I named everyone I'd have a short novel here, but you guys know who you are), at the show who were more than happy to offer their insight, comments and concerns about my stuff and the industry in genral. What a great bunch of people. I can only hope to have a table at next years show with all you guys. Thanks to all for making it a great weekend.

Tags
knife, knife making, knives