MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > This Old Knife

This Old Knife Here is a little forum dedicated to talking about, but not limited to, vintage and antique knives. Pics and stories of special knives or your favorite patterns are encouraged. No experts here. Just guys chattin about old knives and the legends we hav

Old 03-31-2008, 09:53 AM
Registered

world war bake-lite knife?

wow, I got sidetracked.....again....good morning, I have pictures of my neighbors sons knife he just purchased at a local gun show. he is very interested in finding out anything he can about this knife. i, having the resources, have taken on the task to see what we can learn.
we think it has a bake-lite handle, was used in ww1 or 2. we know it could be used as a wire cutter and we figure a bayonet also. he wants to know, as i mentioned above, anything else that may be learned about it from this forum. including what someone would think it would be worth.
thank you in advance to anyone with any sort if info that we can get for this kid.

look forward to hearing from anyone....please see attachments for pics (7)knife 2.jpg

knife 4.jpg

knife 5.jpg

knife 6.jpg

knife 3.jpg

Last edited by txsins@netzero.; 04-09-2008 at 11:13 AM. Reason: pictures
Old 03-31-2008, 02:44 PM
Hall of Famer

I can't see the pic, only the dreaded red x. . .
Old 04-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to combs6136
STill no picture..............................

Old 04-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Registered

please take another look

I have them on there now...thanks
Old 04-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Hall of Famer

The pics are pretty small, but from what I see it appears to be a bayonet for an AK-47 or similar eastern bloc rifle.

It's meant for stabbing, although they managed to work in a few other uses like the wire cutter. They aren't much of a knife, otherwise.

As far as the value? That really depends a lot on whether or not another warehouse full has just been imported. I typically see them at gun shows from $15 to $35 depending on condition and origin (i.e. Russian vs. other country). A few years back a local guy was selling the beat-up broken ones as tent stakes for $5 each.

They aren't as old as you think--definitely made after WWII. More likely no older than 1960's manufacture.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Registered

fantastic info

thanks so much, that is great info to take to this kid...I was wondering though, could this be a bake-lite handle, did they do that? and the entire knife is around 14". thanks
Old 04-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Hall of Famer

It's possible that it's bakelite, though I really don't know. The bayonets I have seen have really varied in color--usually brown tones, some with multi-toned swirls. It's definitely a plastic material of some sort, and if it's not bakelite, it's similar.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

If you see Soviet equipment up close, it's amazing how poorly made it really is. The plastic may have been a Soviet version of bakelite - and yet it may not be old. I was reading a fascinating account by a Russian archeologist about studying the battlefields in the Ukraine. It's hard for us to imaging how many Soviets were killed by the Germans because of Stalin's pride! Often they will find an old German rifle with the stock rotted off, but with a little oil the bolt will work like the day it was made. Soviet rifles are rare because they long since rusted away and some weren't in working condition when they reached the battlefield!

If the kid's happy with the knife, that's great. Those guys that sell that kind of stuff at gun shows don't put valuable stuff on the table.

You don't mention any marks on the knife. Usually, there is some sort of marking for acceptance and it should help you find the origin.

Tags
knife