MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 02-20-2001, 10:17 AM
ScottWiley

Bench Anvil

Hi Ed
I'm working on a small bench anvil ( for peeening pins etc.)made from a piece of railroad track. Can the rail be surface hardened and if so how would I go about it. The piece is about 6" long.

By the way. The forge construction is coming along great! I should be ready to pour the refractory sometime next week.

Thanks
Scott
Old 02-20-2001, 05:39 PM
Ed Caffrey

Hi Scott!
When I harden a piece of RR track here's what I do....
I usually us a coal forge, and place the RR track face down on the forge and let the top portion heat to critical. I then sit it on the ground, and run a slow stream of water from a garden hose onto the face. I takes a while to cool it down, but the process seems to yield a hard resilent surface......no tempering necessary. What happens is that the water cools it quickly enough to get a partial hardening, just right for hammering on. My first anvil was a chunk of track that I hardened just like this.
Glad to hear the forge is going well, let us know how things turn out, and if you run into any problems just drop me an email or call.

Tags
forge