MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:48 AM
Enthusiast

Hey pieinthesky - really nice work. Question; What did you finish the jeancarta with? Some say they use super glue and then steel wool. What's your method if you don't mind saying. I've tried a few times and found that this stuff doesn't buff out too clean. The blue jean material takes on a lot of the rouge, staining it and preventing the blue color to come out clean like yours. Again, nice work. Thanks.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:30 PM

Hi Russ

The micarta is finished by hand using abrasive sheets - Emery, wet and dry and micromesh.

After this it looks good but goes dark when wetted so I seal it with Brooks Proofide. This is a treatment for leather bike saddles - I had some and it worked!
Old 01-19-2012, 03:42 PM

Here's a few more I have been working on, thanks for looking:

The first two with linnen micarta and dovetailed bolsters:

And my first stick tang, I dont know why I didnt make one before they are so light and easy handling. carbon handle.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:25 PM
Skilled

That is definitely going into my inspiration folder. The alternating faded blue bands with the dark red pins really make the handle pop, Superb!
Old 01-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Very clean work, I like it! I'm glad you discovered stub tangs, I rarely make any other kind of fixed blade ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-03-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieinthesky View Post
I know I dont post here often but please have a look at my latest design. It took a few attempts to get it right but I am quite pleased with the result.

Pieinthesky! Stunning work! Thanks for show us. So, let me ask you, about this great handle of yours, those bolsters, front and rear, how have you pinned it? Have you shaped the micarta to fit in those circle forms, or it's, somehow, under it? Post pictures of the process.

I hope you have no problem sharing that, I'm really curious.

Cheers!
Old 02-10-2012, 03:26 PM

Hi E

I am sorry but I dont have any pictures to show. I will try and do a tutorial one day but I wont be making one of these for a while. I am not that keen on using brass for bolsters and I cannot find suitable stainless tubes to make the mozaic pins.

The process is simple in theory but quite time complex in practice. I have made 4 handles in this style and the all came out OK so I think the method is sorted.

The bolsters can be made with nothing more than a pillar drill. Drill right through for your mozaic pin and then counterbore the outer diameter to within 1mm of the bottom of the hole, this leaves a web and hole to locate the pin. Grind away the side to leave an open sided hole. It is much better to use a mill as you will get a square bottomed hole which has some advantages. You will also need a couple of small holes for your rivet pins.

Carefully cut your denim or cloth of choice (carbon if you are brave) to fit into the bolsters. You will need about 14 layers of denim per side. They will look like an oddly shaped jigsaw piece. Make them a little too big rather than too small as they will squash down and fill any gaps.

Lay the blade on a flat surface and cover with one layer of clingfilm. Fit the bolsters in the correct place locating with the two small rivet pins which will push through the film. Make sure they are as tight to the blade as possible.

Wet each piece of denim with resin and lay into the knife, cover with cling film turn it over an d do the other side. Squeeze in a press. repeat for the other side.

When it is cured, the bolsters and micarta will pop off in one piece each side. Clean them up drill through for the pins, epoxy the hole lot together and hammer down the rivets.

Shape it and sand it and job done.

I have had to leave alot of the detail but will try to answer any questions.

I hope this is useful and look forward to seeing someone else using this technique. You might be better starting with some of the simpler designs I have shown in this thread, the jigsaw bolsters are not straight forward. The beauty of this method is that you dont have to flatten your tang, you can taper it ant way you want and the scales will mould to fit.

This is one of my early ones which shows how far you can go

Old 04-14-2012, 09:12 AM

Sorry, man! I just saw you've answered my comment.

Thanks a lot!

Old 04-14-2012, 09:27 AM
Steel Addict

I know this is an older post brought back to life... but that is thoroughly impressive and inspiring, much kudos. Definitely a unique idea that turned out awesome. Gets my wheels turning
Old 04-16-2012, 12:58 AM
Master

That is really nice man neat ideas!!! really like the sharp grind lines great work man.

Last edited by metal99; 04-20-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:24 PM

I have done a tutorial over on British Blades showing how I mould home made micarta onto blade tangs. Hope you find it useful and interesting.

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...-Scales-My-Way

Also a couple of recent knives, a full/stick tang hybrid design which I am slowly developing - nearly there now I think.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:02 PM
Steel Addict

That knife looks outstanding!! I like everything about it!

Old 01-25-2014, 07:25 PM
Steel Addict

Can't say anymore than has already been said. Thanks for posting.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:28 PM
Skilled

Very nice work!
Old 01-28-2014, 07:45 PM
Enthusiast

Wow! Can't say anymoee. Just Wow! That handle is amazing

Tags
art, awesome, bee, blade, bowie, brass, design, fixed blade, folder, for sale, hammer, handle, home, home made, hunting knife, knife, knives, leather, pins, post, press, scales, supplies, tang, tutorial