MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:06 AM

Welding a blade????

I have a blade I believe to be 5160 steel it is actually a piece of leaf spring I picked up . Iwould like to weld ( wire feed) the guard( mild steel ) onto it . A slip on guard on a hidden tang its a big knife and lots of metal to weld to. The knife is heat treated already. Is this possible , sensible. Id like to try something different than Soldering. Will I need to anneal this area? will it be brittle?
Old 04-26-2013, 10:47 AM
Steel Addict

Coming from someone who welds for their occupation I can answer most questions on this subject. Yes, you can weld it. You can weld any metal out there. All you need is the proper wire, electrode, gas, filler, flux and procedure. The question is should you weld it? With a tight fit on a guard you should be able to press fit it into place, and use JB weld as a moisture barrier. I'm not sure the reason you don't want to solder it? You know what they say.... If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But to answer your question, yes. Pre heat both pieces to approx 350deg, be careful u don't over heat and ruin your HT. If your using a solid wire with gas turn up the heat and lower the wire speed. Cuts down on spalls and gives better penetration. After its welded and while its cooling, pein your weld. It will relieve some of the stresses and help keep it from cracking. Your welding high carbon to low carbon. That doubles your chance of a crack. If your trying to weld it with a flux core wire, good luck.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:54 PM

Thank you sir I just like to try different things and flux core is all I have So you kinda talked me out of it although I can see Ill have to try it sooner or later just to satisfy my curiosity.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:02 PM
Steel Addict

If you could run your flux core wire as dual shield, ie with a shielding gas of pure carbon dioxide it would work. But I'm guessing you don't have this set-up as most people don't. If I can give anyone a bit if welding advice, learn to tig weld. You don't need an expensive machine. You can use a 110v stick welder with a tig rig set-up. There's no foot peddle and it's scratch start. But once you get it dialed it and you practice you'll be the "go-to" guy in your group of friends to fix busted dirt bike exhaust, weld in car panels... You get the picture. Just saying that flux core makes a MESS. Use with caution!

Tags
5160, advice, art, blade, fixed blade, guard, heat, hidden, knife, press, scratch, solder, steel, tang, weld, welding