MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 10:02 PM
Living Legend

Mines all done.I started a new thread titled The don R. challenge my entry.I had a lot of fun. This is my first folder and only my second stock removal knife.

Old 06-30-2005, 08:35 AM
Hall of Famer

I saw it, McAhron. Nice work.

4 days to go, Andy, and the rest of you. Let's see it.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:28 PM
Skilled

Hey Don and guys,

Well, I ran into a little snag yesterday. I've got almost everything done, spent 10 hours on it Wednesday, and while I was tapping the holes for the scales, I broke my only tap.

I thought I had a 1-72 tap but couldn't get it started in the Ti but remembered reading somewhere that you have to use a bigger hole size? Well I had to go up two sizes to get it to start. Then yesterday I figured out I was using a 2-56 tap. I couldn't find either size at Home Depot so I'm ordering a couple of each. Should be here next week.

The other thing slowing me down is I had a hard time grinding the blade (my first) with the 1SM 1x42. One side was OK but while doing the opposite side it runs into the motor housing. So it looks more like a convex shape right now. I still need to locate someone around here to help me heat treat it.

Another mistake I made was when I glued the bolster pictures on. I center punched the pivot hole on both bolsters. Since I'm doing hidden pivot pins, I now have a hole in the outside surface of one. I forgot that I would have to put the picture on backwards or upside down however you describe it to reflect right and left bolsters. I thought about putting a tanzanite in that area but its close to the front bolster screw. How do yall attach stones like that?

The thing I was worried about the most was the slot in the Ti. I did it like you said in "My Way" with a small diamond wheel in my drill press. Looks good!

I've learned alot for sure and am disappointed I didn't get it done by schedule (self imposed or not) but when I do get it finished I'll send you a pic. I'll bring it to the show in Austin too.

looking for more challenges to come!

Bill
Old 07-02-2005, 11:34 AM
Steel Addict

Hi Don,

Mines nearlly finished, the blades tempering as I type. I should be able to post some photo's tomorrow ( Sunday).

This ones really fought me all the way, I've a spare blade, back spacer and pivot bearing I.m sure I've aquired more grey hairs than i'd like to admit.
Looks like I'm going to beat the deadline.

Andy..

Oh by the way, the materials I'd planned to use have also changed, and I've got a little surprise in stall regarding the detent ball..ie its not got one but has something a bit special to retain the blade
Old 07-02-2005, 12:59 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMiller
Hey Don and guys,

Another mistake I made was when I glued the bolster pictures on. I center punched the pivot hole on both bolsters. Since I'm doing hidden pivot pins, I now have a hole in the outside surface of one. I forgot that I would have to put the picture on backwards or upside down however you describe it to reflect right and left bolsters. I thought about putting a tanzanite in that area but its close to the front bolster screw. How do yall attach stones like that?

The thing I was worried about the most was the slot in the Ti. I did it like you said in "My Way" with a small diamond wheel in my drill press. Looks good!

I've learned alot for sure and am disappointed I didn't get it done by schedule (self imposed or not) but when I do get it finished I'll send you a pic. I'll bring it to the show in Austin too.

looking for more challenges to come!

Bill
Bill, you've accomplished a lot within just a few days. Yep, you've learned a lot.

One thing, though. A knifemaker has no use at all for a center punch. Give it to someone you don't like.

I'm looking forward to seeing your photo posted here, and especially meeting you at the show.

We still haven't settled on a new challenge project, but my preference would be a folder, maybe a nice framelock. Whatcha thinkaboutthat??
Old 07-02-2005, 01:12 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy gascoigne
Hi Don,

Mines nearlly finished, the blades tempering as I type. I should be able to post some photo's tomorrow ( Sunday).

This ones really fought me all the way, I've a spare blade, back spacer and pivot bearing I.m sure I've aquired more grey hairs than i'd like to admit.
Looks like I'm going to beat the deadline.

Andy..

Oh by the way, the materials I'd planned to use have also changed, and I've got a little surprise in stall regarding the detent ball..ie its not got one but has something a bit special to retain the blade
Well, Hi there, Andy. I know what you mean about spare parts. A few years ago I built folders smoothly, without making errors. Now I'm so old that I forget things, do steps out of order, and have to fix things or start over a lot. Wastes lots of time.
But this is what I do for my own satisfaction, and I can live with it.

I've been worried about your getting finished on time. Nice to hear it's almost ready.

I'm really intrigued about your new detent method. Don't keep it a secret.

I saw a framelock a few years ago with an adjustable set screw for a detent. The set screw probably had a ball point. That's interesting if there's room, and the set screw can be replaced if it wears out.

Guys, tomorrow is Sunday, a day to go to church with your friends. Tomorrow afternoon I may see if I can copy and paste all the pictures of our knives into a new post for the 4th. If I can't then I'll put them on my web site on a temporary page for the 4th. Or maybe both.??
Old 07-03-2005, 01:12 PM
Steel Addict

Smile

FINISHED

Hi Don and everyone involved in this project. I've finally finished my barlow knife and tried to take some photo's, they have not turned out as well as I'd hoped

O.K , Here's the spec :-

Liners.....6al-4v Titanium.
Scales... Mosaic abalone shell. Dovetailed into bolsters
Bolsters.. Mosaic damascus made by Chris Marks. pattern called ' Demented Knot Head '
Blade... D2 heat treated and double tempered. hollow ground on 10" contact wheel.
Back spacer.. a piece of ladder pattern damasteel ( not yet etched ) awaiting acid.

Oh and by the way Don, I've done away with the detent ball and fitted a rare earth magnet ( Neodymium ) into the liners these are only about as thick as a playing card and 1/4" dia..Very powerfull for the size.

Lets make somethig a little bigger and simpler next time Don..The frame lock sounds like a nice idea lets go minimalist :cool:

Happy 4th of July Don and all over in the U.S..No hard feelings from over here in the United Kingdom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Abalone-Barlow2.jpg (38.1 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg abbarlow3.jpg (33.6 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg Barlow-closed1.jpg (41.8 KB, 258 views)

Last edited by andy gascoigne; 07-03-2005 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:00 PM
Hall of Famer

Beautiful barlow, Andy, as always.

Tell me more about where the magnet is. Did you slit a lockbar, or is the magnet simply inside the liner?
:confused:
Old 07-03-2005, 05:18 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Robinson
Beautiful barlow, Andy, as always.

Tell me more about where the magnet is. Did you slit a lockbar, or is the magnet simply inside the liner?
:confused:

Thanks Don,

Yes I slit the lockbar just as normal but I did'nt fit a bb into the end of the bar. The magnet is set into the liner so as to hold the blade in the closed position.

The next time I disassemble the knife I'll take a photo.

By the way Don, the knife looks better than the photo's show. It's very difficult to show the lustre (sp) of the abalone and the patterning in the damascus. The Chris Marks bolsters are of a very complicated pattern and I wish I could have got a better close up shot.

Here is a link to his site and a pic of the damascus
http://www.marksforge.com/images/demented%20knot.jpg

Last edited by andy gascoigne; 07-03-2005 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:41 PM
Hall of Famer

Wow, Andy, that damascus is really something. Is it colored like the picture on the site, or was it colored later?
Old 07-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Hall of Famer

barlow challenge photos

I just spent about 6 hours setting up a new web page with all the barlow pictures.

Click here!

I also started a new thread announcing the photos on this forum.

We'll leave the challenge thread up so that those of you haven't finished your barlows can add your photos here as you get them finished.

Thanks a bunch for all of your participation in this thread. It's been great for me.

I vote for a framelock folder as the next challenge.

Happy birthday to the United States of America, One Nation Under God.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:50 AM
Master

I see a lot of super work here tonight. Andy has made a beautiful Barlow and Don has done a great thing making that photo album. Hey Don, how did you know that I wanted to try a frame lock? I sure hope to come along and make one with you fellows. I will do it in between doing my "regular" folders. Frank

Old 07-04-2005, 01:33 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Robinson
Wow, Andy, that damascus is really something. Is it colored like the picture on the site, or was it colored later?
Hi Don,

the damascus comes from Chris, colored just heated by a torch so that you can see the pattern.

I've given my bolsters a light etch in ferric chloride and then heated them with a torch until I got a dark gunmetal colour. sadly not showing to well in the photo. I will be getting a better digital camera soon, hopefully inproving my photo skills..

Great job on the web site. letts hope we get a few more finished and shown.

Andy..
Old 07-04-2005, 01:57 PM
Living Legend

Nice job Don on the web site.I dont wish to do a frame lock but would love to do a springleaf type auto.

Old 07-04-2005, 04:21 PM
Hall of Famer

My friend McAhron, an automatic would require the use of a metal lathe, which would leave lots of people out, and would be very difficult for someone to build who doesn't own the "My Way" book.

Auto's require great precision work, and a complete understanding of the process.

I like to build them, but don't particularly want to exclude a lot of our friends here on the forum.

Let's hear from you, folks. Which would prefer for the next project, a framelock, a button lock, or something else?
Closed Thread

Tags
blade, fixed blade, folding knife, forge, forging, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives, switchblade