MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 06-06-2002, 03:51 PM
J Loose

Pass the hat for print advertising?

Hey- this is just a thought I had at Blade... but seeing as how many folks miss the CKD and it really deserves to beat the competition I had some thoughts in the co-op tradition:

We could pass the hat and put ads in Blade and KI under their 'website ads,' sections. I think this runs a whopping $50 annually per mag.

>>>EDIT: $150 annually in KI<<<

We could also come up with a 1/8 or bigger page ad to run in these mags but it would necessitate raising more money. I currently pay about $130 per issue for my 1/8 ad in KI, which I like since it is only six issues per year and I can afford it... but I'm sure we could work out something similar in Blade.

I'm sure many of you are aware that advertising in a magazine helps with any further press you might get in it...

Either way if we got a bunch of makers / dealers to drop $10-$20 we could get something up and running.

I'll volunteer to handle it since I've run ads and know the lingo. I could come up with the ad if need be as well... I do my own in KI and at least myself and my mother think it is great!

What do other folks think? I really want to get the word out on the CKD. We've got great people here and I bet we can get even more...
Old 06-06-2002, 05:33 PM
Don Cowles

I'm with you all the way. Let's see what kind of support we get here!
Old 06-06-2002, 07:08 PM
primos

I'm in too. Just let me know when, where, how much, etc.

Terry's Website

Old 06-06-2002, 07:39 PM
Shadowenterprise

I'm in. Name the mulah collector....

Old 06-06-2002, 09:03 PM
Bob Warner

I don't get Blade. Can someone explain what this ad is?

You can probably count me in also but I would like a little more info. Maybe I can find a copy of Blade and see what you are talking about.
Old 06-06-2002, 09:31 PM
CKDadmin

Great Idea ... The CKD is in!

Alex
Old 06-06-2002, 10:42 PM
MIKE KOLLER

I am in as well.
Old 06-07-2002, 05:45 AM
J Loose

Cool...

Glad you guys think it's a good idea...

Personally I think the website ads in the back are the place to start- since it seems to be a one time annual fee it would be easy to come up with the cash. I'll call and get quotes today if you guys don't mind me taking the initiative.

Should we make a larger announcement in the general forum? I suspect many casual CKD visitors don't visit this forum.

I'm assuming Alex has enough on his plate but if you want to take over anywhere, let me know, sir!

Bob- the 'website ads,' are a page toward the back of both mags that have small text ads just for websites. Most of the big internet players have ads in them in addition to their regular ones.

Old 06-07-2002, 06:29 AM
Bob Warner

YEP, I'm in.

If this goes to the general forum there should be a lot more response. More $ and a larger ad would be possible. I say, throw it out and see what happens.
Old 06-07-2002, 10:32 AM
primos

Consider it moved gentlemen. Here we go ...

Okay, here we are. Oh, I made it "sticky" too. When we're ready to let it move on down the list, just let me know, and I'll "un-stick" it.

Terry's Website

Old 06-07-2002, 11:14 AM
SIGGI

I'd be happy to help out. Let us know when and how much!

Bob Sigmon
Old 06-07-2002, 01:11 PM
Colin KC

Me too, from over the pond.

I can do Paypal or real bucks

Colin
Old 06-07-2002, 06:43 PM
whv1

i'd be glad to help out
Old 06-08-2002, 08:14 AM
jar

I'm just a lowly owner but I think it's a great idea and I'd be willing to help.

Old 06-08-2002, 01:24 PM
J Loose

Excellent-

So here are some basic options and ideas:

I haven't gotten the call back from Blade, but Ki runs as follows... I think we can start to think in general terms:

1 time ads in B&W: fraction denotes the fraction of a page inthe mag, so 1/12 is pretty small ( see my ad in last issue of KI for a 1/12 )

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 1/12 $206
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 1/6&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp $348
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 1/4&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp $521
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 1/3&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp $658
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 1/2&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp $979

Running the ad more than once drops the price much like a wholesale order... therefore-

6 time ads ( one year in KI since it is Bi-monthly )

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 1/12 $187&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp per issue
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 1/6&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp $304&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp per issue
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 1/4&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp $484&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp per issue
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 1/3&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp $602&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp per issue
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 1/2&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp $889&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp per issue

There is a further discount if you design and send in your own ad in the appropriate format; which I can do. They want a Mac photoshop file or similar withing certain technical gibberish standards. I believe this discount is in the neighborhood of 10% with KI.

The other option is the website ads in the back of the magazine: they are $150 per year in KI ( 6 issues ) I don't have the figures for Blade but I think we can assume they are similar: so likely $300 annually or so.

It seems to me we can come up with something for a one time ad if we get enough folks to throw in, say $25 bucks or so. I know from personal experience that when I run an ad, particularly a -new- one... even just changing the pic, I get at least several phone calls and a noticeable spike in website traffic. I think we can come up with a nice print ad, say, at least 1/4, run it once and then follow up with the website ads sections.

I think we will all profit from increased sales and recognition for the CKD. I think many people miss out on us entirely and many more think that since we don't advertise we aren't doing as well as the other internet sites. They are unaware that Alex isn't here to make a bunch of money and that the CKD is a group effort. When they do ( and in particular other makers realize this ) I think we will get more customers, more makers, dealers and readers.

We might even get coverage in the internet articles!

So let's see what we can get in terms of numbers of people willing to contribute and how much; the more the better. I'm willing to set up a separate bank account and handle the finances, present accounting info such as who contributes and how much gets spent... do the design work etc... I want the CKD to really take off, 'cause it really seems to have the potential...

So lets hear what everyone thinks would help and how much we think we can raise etc...!!!

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp

Tags
blade, knife, knives