MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 01-08-2021, 05:08 PM

A bit disappointed, hoping for advice

I inherited a Randall 21 from my father, which I am grateful but unfortunately the stag handle is noticeable crooked to the blade/tang. Being it was my fathers it has sentimental value, and I would like to use it. However every time I handle it, it really bothers me. To the point I donít use it, it sits in a drawer. Itís almost embarrassing, especially with Randallís reputation for quality.

I contacted Randall, hoping they could rehandle it - but they only offered to sharpen and recondition the blade.

So I guess Iím wondering if there are any well known knife maker(s) who specializes in Randallís who could replace the stag and still have it look factory?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by double gun; 01-08-2021 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:32 AM

Try these guys:

https://www.behringmade.com/
Old 01-09-2021, 01:02 PM

Hi double gun!

I'm sorry that you found Ron's short response disappointing, he's usually very long winded.

James Behring is the son of Jim Behring, both of whom are very talented knife-makers in their own right. Jim is located in Michigan and James now operates out of Montana. These two gentlemen have a lot of experience re-handling Randall knives. Often they create very unique handles. I would contact both to see what can be done for your blade. Dad's website can be found here:

https://www.treemanknives.com/

Hope this helps.

Please let us know how you make out.

Cheers!

David

Old 01-09-2021, 01:59 PM
Steel Addict

Can you post a few photos of the "problem"?

Stag is a natural material, so you kinda get what you get. Randall would not purposely put out a knife that was "deformed" back in the day, and your knife is not out of the ordinary. I have seen countless Randall Knives that have curved stag, and some folks prefer that as it suits their grip better.

If you have James Behring replace the handle, it is no longer original, and he generally puts a medallion on it to denote it is his work.

In any case, I would suggest since that was your father's knife, leave it as is, and maybe purchase one that you like the "look" of better.
Old 01-09-2021, 03:58 PM
Steel Addict

I recommend you take crutchtip's advice--he really knows Randall knives!
-Steve
Old 01-09-2021, 04:11 PM

Thanks for all the advice. To give more detail to crutchtip, I have other Randallís all in stag - and of course I understand stag isnít uniform this is not that. I have no problem with the stag. My father wants me to enjoy using it, not leave it in a drawer so leaving it as is, is not an option. That said Iím not really keen on having someone elseís mark added so I donít know what I will do yet.

Last edited by double gun; 01-09-2021 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:24 AM
Steel Addict

can you post some photos?
Old 01-14-2021, 03:32 AM
Registered

I recommend you Randall knives. Its Perfect.

Tags
a, advice, back, behring, blade, ca, fac, grip, gun, handle, handles, knife, knives, makers, material, montana, post, problem, randall, stag, stag handle, tang