MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:16 PM
Steel Addict

Question for you etchers

I was talking to a guy recently who is going to be selling an etching machine sometime for a really good price. I had planned on doing the "cheap guy version" and using my electric battery charger and salt water. There are a fair amount of tutorials out there where guys show how they use various power sources with cotton balls/q-tips with salt water and seem to get pretty good results (for example, http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index....Bwater+%2Betch).

I've never used, nor been around a commercial etcher. I understand there is a pad of some sort (I think it's instead of the cotton) and a chemical solution (instead of salt water) and the etcher has different settings. I'm hoping someone out there can help me figure out if it's worth going the "professional" route? I'm planning on getting some professionally done resists, as I understand those are a bit of a must and ones done well will last longer.

Thanks for the help.

Jeremy
Old 02-08-2013, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Hi Jer!

Are you talking about an etcher for marking your blades, or about etching some type of "scene" on a blade? I got a bit confused when I read "resists" ....did you mean stencils?

Either way, the material you're talking about, that is the "etcher pad" is felt material. There might be something special about the pads that you buy directly from the etcher/stencil makers, but once I used up the supply that came with my Personalizer Plus etcher, I just went to the local fabric store and purchased some white felt, and it looks and works the same as the pads that came with my etcher.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 02-08-2013, 10:44 AM
Steel Addict

Woops.... Yes, I meant stencils for marking blades, Ed. I guess I'm just trying to figure out if the commercial etchers perform much better/different than what you can get with the other techniques. I've got no problem spending the money to do it "right", just figured I'd see what some experienced folks thought. Thanks for the info on the felt.

Jeremy

Tags
battery, bee, blades, chemical, etching, material, store, supply, tips