MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:14 AM
Skilled

Smile First Try At Sheaths

Hi all,
I've made a few knives so far and have had a chance to tackle sheath making finally after purchasing a few tools.
My goal was to make a simple friction-fit leather pouch sheath. I don't own any stamps so I had no goal of making something fancy... primarily interested in fit and function, which I accomplished. It has a nice snug fit and won't come out when shaking upside-down. I can try fancy later.
This knife and sheath will be a gift to the guy who delivers my wood (always gives me a great deal). He's a south-paw... hence this is a lefty sheath.
I referenced Chuck's DVD set and Ian Atkinson's online tutorials... both are extremely helpful.
Not pictured is the sewing awl which I used for stitching. I will learn to saddle-stitch soon but the awl was a good starting point since I know absolutely noting about sewing... can't even sew a button. Top and bottom of my stitch line is double-stitched for strength.
Bad thing is - this is just as addictive as knife-making! Maybe even worse, I've discovered that I really like working with leather.
Chems -
Fiebings Oil Dye (Walnut)
Fiebings Tan Kote (inside)
Fiebings Leather Sheen
Eco-Lab Tragacanth Gum
Eco-Lab Carnuba Creme

Anyway, here are some pics. Questions, comments and criticism most certainly welcome.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:43 AM
Skilled

Nicely done. I see some leather working in my future. I hope my first looks that good.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:28 PM

That is awesome!

I would like to make some myself! What tools did it take you to get to that point??
Old 01-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Steel Addict

Wow!!! Well Done Are You sure This Is Your First One?
I Agree That Fit And Function Are Important At least Until You Get A Bit More Experience Under Your Belt.
Keep Up The Good Work
Old 01-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Skilled

Thanks!
I used a "Speedy Stitch" sewing awl which is not pictured. Utility knife also not pictured.
The rest of the tools are pictured there.
From left to right: Adjustable V-Gouge, small awl for punching stitch holes, beveling tool, stitch wheel (#6), small curved blade, and skiving tool.
The white plastic wheel is a burnishing tool.
The two tools at the bottom are.... adjustable grooving tool and freeform grooving tool.
I did some shopping around and most of the tools were around $5-$10 each but the groovers and stitch awl were around $10-$20 each.
Chemicals and oil dyes can cost a little (not really much) and will they last a while.
I'd consider it a relatively inexpensive endeavor.
I'll build my own stitching pony eventually and start saddle-stitching. It would have been cheaper and better than the stitching awl but that awl was just so dang easy. I figured it best for a greenhorn like me. I have a better concept of basic sewing now.

Last edited by rockhound; 01-21-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Nicely done - you obviously went to the right sources for how to do the job!

Old 01-22-2013, 06:35 AM

Well Chris, looks like you're going to become a "total package" maker. You did very well on the sheath (just like you are doing on your knives). I enjoy the leather work almost as much as I enjoy bladesmithing....if I could figure out how to make the sheaths with hammer and fire I'd be doing a happy dance all the time.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 01-22-2013, 10:05 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crex View Post
Well Chris, looks like you're going to become a "total package" maker. You did very well on the sheath (just like you are doing on your knives).
Hi Carl,
That's a huge compliment from someone like you to a neophyte greenie like me.... all I can do is try to live up to it. I've got so much to learn yet, which is what I really like about these pursuits. I'm still taking baby steps and have a long way to go though.
Thanks!

Old 01-22-2013, 02:16 PM
Skilled

Well Done Rockhound .

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 01-22-2013, 06:55 PM
Skilled

Rockhound, I think you did a super job on the first sheath. You are hooked and it only gets worse.More tools more chems, , but that is the fun of a new hobby.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:21 AM

Yeah the challenges are always there to do just a little better, a little more, a little different, a little something else, gotta love it.
Oh, then there is always backing all the way up to starting with making a bloom of steel, refining it and then forging a blade. See never ending.

Of course when you get to mine and Travis's age ...... what you did a couple of weeks ago may seem like a brand new adventure this morning......now where was I going with that.... ... .. . .

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Last edited by Crex; 02-18-2023 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:05 AM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Chris, you did a very nice job on the sheath and are to be complimented on that effort!! Carl and Travis are not old folks. They are still my adopted children of whom I am very proud-----Sandy

Old 01-23-2013, 09:18 AM
Skilled

Sandy,
Thank you so much... your work is incredibly inspiring and I very much appreciate the compliment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trav View Post
You are hooked and it only gets worse.More tools more chems, , but that is the fun of a new hobby.
trav,
You pretty much nailed it!
After completing that I found myself walking around here looking for something else to sheath, lol. Not to fear... I have two nice throwing hawks that need sheaths. If I have time I'll start on those tonight. Just so dang fun and I'd have never thought it. I went into leatherwork thinking it would be a "chore"... quite the opposite.

Last edited by rockhound; 01-23-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:10 AM

Dad's inspired quite a few of us "kids". I know he guided me from making "fido's butt" to making sheaths that I don't have to hide with a towel so the knife will go in. Leatherwork is a pleasant changeup from pounding hot steel (and I can do it sitting down in a somewhat climate controlled shop).

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 01-27-2013, 08:39 AM
Steel Addict

Looks great Rockhound...I knew it was just a matter of time before you had a good go at sheath making. It appears that you take the same approach to sheaths as you do with knives. Its well planned, symmetrical, and clean. Congratulations. I agree with you that making a sheath was just as interesting and enjoyable as making the knife. New guys like us are very fortunate to have the support of so many incredibly talented makers on this site to guide us along.

Tags
art, awesome, bee, blade, build, easy, hobby, holster, horn, how to, knife, knives, leather, leather die, leather tooling, made, make, making, plastic, sheath, sheaths, simple, tanning, tools, wood