MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Georgia Knifemaker's Guild

Georgia Knifemaker's Guild The Georgia Knifemaker's Guild. Furthering and fostering the passion of knives, knifemaking, and related interests

Old 06-21-2004, 11:18 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Moved: First Official Meeting

Posted by MrsJoan:

First Official Meeting

I can't believe I have let so many days pass without sharing with you guys the excitement and fun of the first official meeting of the Georgia Custom Knifemakers' Guild!! The event was attended by 30 of Georgia's finest knifemakers, 2 wives, and 2 children.

The day began with the election of the President and Vice-President to lead for the next year.

From left to right: Brent Fisher, Treasurer; Wayne Hensley, Board of Directors; Alvin Kinsey, Board of Directors; Kathleen Tomey, Secretary; John Poythress, President; Jamey Saunders, webmaster; Carl (crex) Rechsteiner, Vice-President.

The President, VP, and Secretary taking care of business.

As you can see, a good group of folks were on hand (and stayed for the entire day) for this "kick-off" and enjoyed Kathleen's instructions on doing an oriental wrap handle.

And the group also enjoyed instructions from Alvin Kinsey on constructing a kydex sheath.

Earlier in the day, Dean Gates showed the group the steps he takes in designing the knife on paper before beginning to cut the steel. John sat himself at the grinder for a flat ginding demo.

The group had lunch of deli cuts and sides all paid for out of "iron in the hat" funds---which in itself was quite a bit of fun to see who ended up going home with what treasure.

If you were not able to attend this meeting but would like to join us at the next meeting and join us as a member we would love to have you come. The next meeting will be in August--date to be announced. We are expecting the meeting to be in Lawrenceville.
For more information you can contact John. Hope to see you all there!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 06-21-2004, 11:19 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
I've got to say what a great time I had at the meeting on Saturday. It's nice to be able to talk face to face with the folks I interact with on the forums from day to day. I was telling my wife that I'm still amazed that I'm able to talk as an equal with makers whose work I admired in knife magazines the whole time I was growing up -- people I consider to be legends in the world of knifemaking.

Kinda the same amazing feeling I get about being a part of these forums.

Thanks, Kathleen, for hosting the meeting. You have a beautiful home, and I really enjoyed being there. Thanks everybody else for the fellowship.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 06-21-2004, 11:19 AM

Posted by Crex:

Hey Guys! I'm a little slow on recovery. Been spending a lot of what spare time I have with the new grandson, born 5:15 am on 5/17/04. Also babysitting the other three (they sure keep me hopping). Marbles can get very interesting with a 4, 6 and soon to be 8 year old crowd. Colors seem to be more of an issue than score to the youngest two.
Had a wonderful time at the Guild meeting. Thank you all for the honor and opportunity to serve as Vice Pres. I hope I can muster up to John and the other officers' standards of excellence. I will do my best.
Thank you Kathleen for hosting and putting up with this crowd (they did behave rather well). Your cord wrapping demo was very informative and answered many of the questions that I had about technique (I always thought it should be alot harder).
Dean, John, and Alvin also did fine and informative jobs in their perspective demos. Things went very well and I believe everyone had a good time.
Probably run into most of you at the Blade show in a couple of weeks. See you there.

ps - Jamey, now that we're practically neighbors, you need to come over and get fitted for a hammer.

Crex Custom Knives

Old 06-21-2004, 11:20 AM

Posted by Kent White:

I really enjoyed the meeting, and meeting you folks. I learned a lot, and it gave me much to think about. Seeing John use the grinder in the flat grinding demonstration really drove it home that I really do need one for my shop soon. Next to forging, a grinder would speed up my progress quite a bit.

Looking forward to seeing everyone soon!

Kent (& Dustin) White

Old 06-21-2004, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Crex
ps - Jamey, now that we're practically neighbors, you need to come over and get fitted for a hammer.

You're not going to give up until I've come over to the dark side, are you?

Old 06-21-2004, 11:21 AM

Posted by Crex:

Nope!

Crex Custom Knives

Old 06-21-2004, 11:22 AM

Posted by simmonsk:

Actually it is the bright side. We don't hammer on the dark side...
Enjoy, Ken

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on the menu. Liberty is a well-armed sheep.

Tags
blade, forging, knife, knives