MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 08-29-2005, 08:28 AM
Skilled

cross draw sheaths

Finished these over the weekend for a custom order. Veg-tan, dyed, hand sewn and set for left side carry. All critique welcomed!
Old 08-30-2005, 08:31 AM
Living Legend

I'll jump in here. Please understand the last sheath I made got a "find someone else to make your sheaths" rating. I like the design and the stitching looks good. The only I would have liked would have been to bring the loop all the way around the front. I think it would add a nice touch to the overall look.

Did you stain the handles with the same color as the sheath? If not you chose a dye that's a good match for the handles.

Jim
Old 08-30-2005, 09:38 AM
Skilled

cross draw sheaths

Hey Jim,
Funny you would mention carrying the loop around the front, 'cause I just started one in that style. The belt loop will continue over the front and sew into the edge. That part will have 3 sets of horse hair and brass cones attached. May borrow a little more from Chuck and incorporate some brass tacks.
Rick
Old 08-30-2005, 09:50 AM
Skilled

Rick;

I can't really tell from the pics. Did you top stitch the top of the belt loop or did you feed it through a slot in the sheath body? I've been using the wrap around loop design, but I like the clean look you got on your sheaths. Also it does not interfere with flow of design on carved or tooled patterns. That is really nice, neat work. Be sure to post the one you're working on now.

Paul
Old 08-30-2005, 09:56 AM
Living Legend

Don't get me wrong Rick, I like them as is.

I think that the horse hair and cones will be a nice touch.

Jim
Old 08-30-2005, 12:06 PM
Skilled

Paul,
I top stitched the belt loop just past center so you really don't see it from the front. My only concern with that is the potential weakness of the straight line stitching. I back stitch 2 holes on both ends hoping to add strength. What do you think? Man, love your work!!
Rick
Old 08-30-2005, 12:48 PM
Skilled

Rick:

I really don't think the strength of the loop will be a factor, particularly with the back stitching on both ends. An alternative method would be to lay the loop with the bottom pointed up and stitch multiple rows or any stitch design you like. and then flip it back over itself and stitch the bottom as you have done. This method will also accomodate a wider belt in the same space.

Paul
Old 08-30-2005, 02:11 PM
Skilled

Paul,

That would sure help when I make one for the roper that wears the knife on his chap belt. Those are usually wider than a regular belt. It was getting real tight on the smaller sheaths to get over 2" for a belt. Thanks!

Tags
blade, knife