MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:36 PM

First post/ question (of course)

Hi everyone,
Merry Christmas!
I have been interested in making knives since I was a teenager. (48 now)
Been trying to absorb as much as I can as I get started, reading books and online.
I have come across a band saw that I'd like to buy (used) for cutting blanks for basic drop point hunters and skinning type knives.
Please tell me if you think it is up to the task and can Bi-Metal blades be used on this machine?
Here is info from the ad

10" Delta Rockwell Free Standing BandSaw
?Made in Early 70's
?Like new, rarely used, low hours
?Classic machine shop quality, heavy frame
?Upgraded to a 1/3 HP Capacitor Start Motor
?10' x 11" Cast Iron Tilting Deck
?Uses 71 ¾ " Blades ¼ "
?Mounted on a Delta Rockwell Steel Stand

Please offer your opinions on this machine
Thanks, TrapperXX

Last edited by TrapperXX; 12-25-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Steel Addict

welcome to the forum Trapper

the saw you have will work fine for cutting the scales , but runs way to fast for cutting the blades. a typical metal cutting saw will be in the 100 fpm range and your saw will be running 1200+ fpm. you'd have to rebuild and put in a jack shaft to get you down to were you need to be.

a lot of guys buy the cheap 4 x 6 metal cutting saws from places like Harbor Freight to get started. I have one and it worked fine to get started. I just bought a Dewalt Porta band to do all my blade prep on.

Erik
Old 12-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Master

Welcome to the forum Trapper. I don't know much about band saws but if its a delta it's most likely a wood cutting band saw. It would run to fast for bi metal blades. If you could slow it down I'm sure it would work. A friend of mine modified a two wheel 10" craftsmen bandsaw for cutting metal. He mounted a dayton 3phase variable speed setup to it. He uses it to cut everything. It's scary how fast he can get that thing spinning. He told me it could also be used for "friction cutting" with a dull blade. I don't know much about friction cutting but from what I understand it can be done with a blade that doesn't even have teeth! The intense friction from the insanely fast blade does the cutting. Seems kinda crazy lol.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:25 PM
Hall of Famer

This question comes up fairly regularly from beginners. What most people who have modified a wood cutting band saw to cut metal found out is that it costs almost as much to do the modifications and a metal cutting saw would cost and all they end up with is a wood cutting saw modified to cut metal not a metal cutting band saw.

Some of the hand held metal cutting band saws can be mounted to a ready made base and you can get a horizontal/vertical band saw for not much more.

Doug

Old 12-25-2012, 01:30 PM

CNCCUTTER and METAL99 , Thanks for the quick reply's. I didn't know about the speed being slower for metal , so thank you. Makes sense. Merry Christmas to you both.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Master

Your welcome Trapper, merry Christmas to you too.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:34 PM

Thanks Doug, just saw your response. Good point.
Maybe I will think about it for the scales though.? It looks brand new in the pictures and they want $225 or best offer. Seem anxious to sell..
Old 12-25-2012, 02:15 PM
Master

That seems like a reasonable deal. I believe the older Rockwell saws were build fairly well. If you have a nice wood cutting bandsaw you can save some money by buying larger boards of exotic wood and cutting them into scales yourself.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:55 PM

Thanks metal.

Tags
bee, brand, build, chris, christmas, first post, hand, iron, knives, made, making, post, scales, skinning, steel, wood