MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Georgia Knifemaker's Guild

Georgia Knifemaker's Guild The Georgia Knifemaker's Guild. Furthering and fostering the passion of knives, knifemaking, and related interests

Old 12-06-2007, 09:25 AM

Let's get started!!!

Ok. So I finally have enough stuff in place to get started with making knives. I have a new work bench to put in the garage coming home today. I talked my boss out of his really cool industrial vice that swivels and turns and everything so you can get to almost any angle. Got a grinder from him also. He saw a few of my designs and decided to donate his stuff. His only request was that I make him a knife once I get decent at it. Got a bunch of files from Sears. Got my dremel and all the bits at the ready for doing choils and that stuff. Got a bunch of used motorcycle oil to do the heat treating. Got some steel. It will probably take me tonight and tomorrow to set everything up the way I want it. I have to move some bikes around to make room. Then, I'll be removin' me some stock! I don't know if you can tell or not, but I'm excited. hahaha Now the only thing I'm waiting for is a band saw and a new big belt sander. Hopefully I'll have the dough for those in the not so distant future. For right now, at least I can start.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:23 PM
Skilled

You go guy! Above all, have fun.

Carey

You are cordially invited to check out my web site:
Handmade Knives by Carey Quinn
Old 12-06-2007, 09:31 PM
Skilled

Don't forget your safety glasses and respirator/filter. Looks like it's time for the dust to fly. If you think you have screwed one up, take a close look and see if you can change the design a little and make it work. We call that "a save". It is a seldom talked about, but valuable, talent because no one wants to admit they screwed up. It has resulted in some weird looking knives. Bring what you are working on with you if you can make the meeting in February. Carey said it, and it is worth repeating. Have fun.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:54 AM

Will do. Thanks guys. I need to go out and get some respirators.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:31 PM

I had a slight setback. The table will be here tomorrow. Then I can mount my vice and get started. Hopefully before too long I'll have some pictures to show.

Tags
forge, knife, knives