MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:22 PM
Skilled

I finally got my first sheath done.

If there is anything I need to improve on I'm open to criticism.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:41 PM
Master

For a first attempt at a sheath I would say you did a great job! The tooling turned out really crisp. Keep it up!

The only thing I see on the whole package is the handle shape could be smoothed and rounded a little more.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:46 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal99 View Post
For a first attempt at a sheath I would say you did a great job! The tooling turned out really crisp. Keep it up!

The only thing I see on the whole package is the handle shape could be smoothed and rounded a little more.
Thanks, I'll work on the handle some more.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:23 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I agree, you did a great job for a first sheath. Lots of guys make quite a few sheaths before they get one as nice as that.

Looks to me like to tried to finish your edges and that's something many overlook on their first efforts. But, you need to do a little more of the edges. Looks like you used some edge dye and that's fine but the edges could have been sanded a little flatter first. Once you get the edges flat and dyed then you need to burnish them with Gum Tragacanth. You can get GT from wherever you buy your dye and leather working tools. It's the final touch that creatres a really professional looking edge on the sheath ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-15-2013, 09:00 PM
Hall of Famer

What I do on the edges of my sheaths is to wet them lightly with water and burnish them with my burnishing tool which happens to be a bore's tooth. Then I give them a good coating of Gum Tragacanth and burnish it again. You can also do the to the flesh side of a strap to give it a less sued like appearance. You might also try making the belt loop of a separate piece of leather and sewing it down with the skin side out.

You did a real nice job with the stamping. It's not all that easy to keep that pattern lined up and straight and you didn't even have to use a camouflage tool to hide the usual irregularities at the edge of the stamping. The stamp was also nice and deep. What weight leather did you use?

Doug

Old 06-15-2013, 09:56 PM

One thing that really stands out to me is the antique down in the stitching holes. If you are going to antique do it before you sew. The antique gets down into the holes and makes it look dirty.

A belt sander with a brand new 36 grit belt is your best friend when smoothing out edges. For burnishing, dampen the edges with water and rub the edge with glycerin soap. Briskly rub the edge with canvas or denim. Very fast and easy and your edges will look amazing.

Aaron
Old 06-15-2013, 09:58 PM
Steel Addict

Very nice job, it looks better than my first sheath with the stampings. Thanks for posting.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:24 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lester View Post
What I do on the edges of my sheaths is to wet them lightly with water and burnish them with my burnishing tool which happens to be a bore's tooth. Then I give them a good coating of Gum Tragacanth and burnish it again. You can also do the to the flesh side of a strap to give it a less sued like appearance. You might also try making the belt loop of a separate piece of leather and sewing it down with the skin side out.

You did a real nice job with the stamping. It's not all that easy to keep that pattern lined up and straight and you didn't even have to use a camouflage tool to hide the usual irregularities at the edge of the stamping. The stamp was also nice and deep. What weight leather did you use?

Doug
The leather is about 7 oz, I used a red waxed thread so it doesn't really stand out.as far as stamping goes, in some spots I would have to stamp over the stitch groove and then I would just smooth the weave off of the leather where I didn't want it to be.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:28 AM
Enthusiast

Good job Kev; looks great for your first one.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Nice job!

Tags
antique, bee, brand, easy, flat, handle, leather, make, making, package, pattern, sheath, sheaths, stitch, strap, tools