MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:32 PM
Steel Addict

Engrave-In Fun Day, Monday after Blade

Engrave-In Fun Day, Monday after Blade

Plans are really swinging for this event. Party will start Sunday evening as people get up here from the Blade show , with campfire and conversation under the stars. I suspect Sam and Abby might do a little picking and singing as well. Monday morning, not too early depending on how late the previous night went we will have some short seminars put on by myself , Ray Cover, Sam Alfano, and a banjo engraver named Joyce Carroll .

Beginners, Experts, Wannabes, Patrons, Customers if you are interested in engraving, please come. Spouses and or significant others of any of the above are also welcome. We will have engraving systems from GRS, Ngraver, and Lindsay set up for people to try. My bench and Ray Covers will be set up to observe and try. I will have some of my engraved items that I have collected from around the world on display for discussion as well as scroll samples from various art forms. We will have smoked chicken dinner on the grounds for lunch on Monday. That?s worth coming for believe me. If you want to bring something to eat that?s fine, or just bring yourself that?s fine too.

We will have some short seminars, 30-40 minutes in length, with time for questions. Probably we will do two before lunch and two after.

Joyce Carol will be giving a talk about banjo engraving, showing some traditional styles and techniques. I happen to know that she is also an excellent ventriloquist, and rumor has it she may have a friend with her that wants to learn engraving but is afraid of sharp points.

Ray Cover will Principles and Elements of Design as applied to Engraving. If you understand the basic principles of design, you don?t need a systemic set of rules to follow to achieve stunning pieces. Using the overall layout and placement of objects lead your mind to travel from one point to another.

Sam Alfano will give a demonstration about photographing engraving that gives a nice even lighting and makes the engraving pop.

I will give talk about??. Well, we can take show of hands and see which is more interesting to the attendees. I can do one on Ergonomics, which is a fancy word for bench design and theory for most efficient work process or I can do one on Design Parameters, using shapes or patterns present on the object itself as the basis for scroll design.

Of course, there will lots of unstructured time to mingle, ask questions, try techniques. BRING YOUR STUFF, bring your tools, bring your work, bring your questions? BRING YOUR BENCH if you want . I would love to have 3 or 4 benches set up besides mine and Ray?s . This is an Engrave-In?. so bring your stuff to engrave if you can.

Some beautiful views here as well, a 10 minute walk will bring you the bluffs on our property, where you can see some 70 mile vistas. Another bonus, if you want to try a world class airgun or two, we can let you give that a whirl as well.

For the wives in attendance, maybe Rhonda will consider new applicants for WOSEM, Wives Of Self-Employed Men, a club she formed some years ago when three of us guys, a wood carver, a knifemaker and myself, all went into the backyard to work everyday while the wives all drove an hour to work each day. Of course, Rhonda has long since joined the self-employed category, but believe me she still has much to say in this regard, especially on the male side?.

Now I do need to folks to start RSVP,ing to my e-mail, my first name at pilkguns dot come or you can PM off the Engraver?s Caf?.

Partial list of known attendee?s
Ray Cover
Mark Simpson
Don Cowles
Tim Welles
Jim Hall
Mike Cirelli
Joyce Carroll
Scott Pilkington
Tim and Kelly Adlam
Sam and Abby Alfano
Brian Hochstrat
Ian Morrison
Tira Mitchell
Jerry and Joan Seymour
Hamilton Bowen
John Heiss
John Barraclough
Ray Phillips
Joe Mason
Tex Skow
Kulley LeVaugh
Lois LeVaugh
David Gruber
Jim Parker and friend
Jack and Pam Davenport
Lester Holmes
Charles Walker
Amayak Stepanyan

This is going to be as good or better than a FEGA show get together, so make your plans now.

Last edited by pilkguns; 05-07-2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Steel Addict

Hi Scott.
What is the date of the Blade show please?
Old 04-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Master

John,

THe Blade Show is the 8-10 of June. Its at the Cobb Galleria Center In Atlanta. Actually the town its in is Marrietta which is a nice subburb of Atlanta.

If you Google Blade show Atlanta you will get their webpage with directions, more info and such.

Ray

ray@rcoverengraving.com
Old 04-21-2007, 07:36 AM
Steel Addict

I have updated the attendee list.

Tags
blade, knife