MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:05 AM
Enthusiast

Sheath Type for Long Knife?

I have a 14" long knife I am making a sheath for. I would like some advice on type of sheath to make. What I mostly mean is since it is a long knife, the knife and sheath will get in the way from time to time when on someone's belt. To minimize this, should the sheath hang low and loose so it moves freely or made so the handle rides high and tight to the body? Hope that makes sense, I can't think of a better way to explain. I am thinking high and tight to the body but easily removable. Maybe a frog design.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:29 AM
Guru

I made an 12" blade dagger overall 19" with the handle and I presume you have some fair leather experience Twithers as I've seen you here before. I made it for two positions, ride high on the belt and strapped to thigh loosely or I could strap it to my calf or I should say my son as I made it for him. The use of a chicago screw and an extra strap was all that I needed to add. The thigh strap had a double ring type buckle and the ankle strap was just a small strap with a piece of leather lace to tie it up with and the Thigh strap becoming the top calf strap.

Is the blade 14" or is that the overall length? If 14" OA a sheath would be OK, but if the whole length is like 20"+ or so a frog would be OK. I made mine to ride high and my son doesn't have any problems, but though you cannot see the belt loop sewn onto the back of the sheath I can tell you it is 3" long and lets the knife move if sitting. If you can make a nice frog and the knife is over 20" go ahead it would look nice, but my 19" would do OK for it's purpose of last resort if attacked by a bear, though I told my son a bigger gun may prove more useful.

Here is a link to the sheath.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/139620...7671162338314/

Sorry it's my flickr page and each photo has the same https. It's the biggest knife there.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:54 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you for the information. Very nice work. I like the versatility. My knife is 14" OAL so if I understand you correctly, it is not so long that I should be concerned? Making the belt loop loose so it can move around, especially when the wearer sits down, sounds like good advice. I may be overly concerned with the length of the knife just because I am used to a small knife. I carry a folder with a 3" blade. I have carried a knife since I was old enough to do so and a large knife, for EDC anyway, just never was for me. Even fixed blades wore when hunting or fishing were, oh, 9" OAL. Thanks again.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:46 AM
Guru

Look at the pictures of me holding the knife, it is over 19" long. You don't need a frog for a 14" knife unless you know how to make a really good looking one. But the 3" belt loop on the back lets the knife swing around and he doesn't strap it tight to his thigh, as a matter of fact he said he doesn't strap it to his thigh anymore as it's more comfortable to him and when he is backpacking he straps it to his calf so the pack belt doesn't get in the way. He hangs it over his fireplace when not using it. The belt loop is about 3/4 as wide as the middle of the sheath.

He likes to strap it to his calf and have his pistol on his hip. His wife packs a pistol too.lol I think they are more concerned about 2 legged coyotes than four legged bears.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:07 PM
Banned

There are many types of knives around and it is easy to get lost in the details. This post will give you a good understanding of how knives are organized, how they are used, and which knife should you reach for to do a certain task.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:14 AM
Banned

You can need some info to know more about the knife...
Old 03-15-2017, 08:03 AM

Crossdraw?

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 03-15-2017, 08:26 AM
Guru

That too. Don't know why I forgot about it since I carried a pistol that way, big knife sheath could be the same.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:58 PM
Guru

Twithers here is another example of what I was talking about.

I mean like a 3" belt loop so the knife can be moved around and still be comfortable. This looks to be a clip. You could put a grommet on the end of the leather clip and a couple of grommets on the sides of the sheath and tie it with a piece of heavy leather lace. As tight or loose as you wish.

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/al...&pictureid=418

Last edited by jimmontg; 03-31-2017 at 08:04 PM. Reason: addition

Tags
advice, back, belt, blade, blades, chicago screw, design, fishing, folder, frog, handle, holster, how to, hunting, knife, knives, leather, leather die, leather tooling, made, make, making, sheath, tanning