MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:01 AM

leather supplier recommendations

Who do you buy your leather from? and who do you recommend?
I am in the market for two sides, one brown, one black and would like some options on who to buy from.
Also what weight do you recommend? I have been using the 9,10 oz but am wondering if I need thaat much weight for what in most cases is a display knife rather that an active user.
Thanks for the help.
Steve

Old 12-28-2014, 12:13 PM
Enthusiast

I use the Tandy Leather Factory, primarily because there is a store about 2 miles from my house, but also because they have a large selection of good quality leather. I usually buy double shoulders because there is less variation in thickness than in a side. They also have a good selection of dyes and hardware, lace, thread, needles, etc. They do have a web site, but I don't have to use it.
I usually buy natural hides then dye then to the color I am looking for, and then apply a good finish.
My photo album shows a few examples.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:07 AM
Skilled

For the last three years I've been buying from Roger Folmar at RJF Leather and have been totally satisfied with product and pricing. My work is leather rifle accessories and custom sheaths, so I buy a lot of leather every month. Roger's pricing is more than competitive and usually lower than the other large suppliers while quality stays high. 90% of my purchases are drum dyed in walnut or black. Great stuff! He sells double shoulders and whole backs which means you don't have to pay for the belly portion that seldom gets used. My suggestion is to buy 7/8oz. for all your sheath work. I will use 5/6oz. for smaller, lighter knives, but it's your choice. Roger can be reached at 606-742-8969 for information and orders.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:09 AM

Stephan, Brother RLo (Rick) goes through more cow than anyone I know, since Dad (Sandy M.) retired. His recommendation is solid. I've only bought once from Roger and still have quite a bit of it left - good stuff. Just don't use up leather at the speed RLo does.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 01-02-2015, 08:37 AM

Thanks guys
I ended up buying from Tandy Leather since they had a good year end sale but I will definitely keep these folks in mind for the next time I need to order.
Thanks again
Steve

Old 01-20-2015, 12:27 AM
Guru

Steve,

Just saying hi. And thanks for the timely thread, as I'm looking for a leather source as well.

Long time no see. How you keep the cold weather up in Canada and away from me.

Cap

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 01-24-2015, 08:42 PM
Steel Addict

Hey Steve , once you've used those hides up forget Tandys their hides are to inconsistent. One will tool okay and the next is terrible. Call Moore Pearsall in Toronto 416 789-3123. The hides I get there are great and work the same every time. Also they aren't covered in barb wire scars. I usually get veg tan russet shoulders. You can also get these pre dyed and they tool the same as natural.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:34 AM

I agree with Paul on the inconsistency issue with Tandys. I will only buy what I can inspect closely from them, never mail order. Just have to get good at reading the hides - hair side is pretty easy but flesh side takes a lot of looking.
Was getting a lot from Wickett & Craig but even their premium hides were coming with all kinds of hard spots that made clean smooth cuts and tooling very difficult. Too high a price for this to be reasonable, so after the 4th send back I quit them.
Wishing Seigal of Cal was still in the loop. Got good stuff from Mike.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 01-25-2015, 08:39 AM

Thanks Paul
I will give them a call next time.
Steve

Old 01-31-2015, 10:40 AM

mr vanderhoff, came across this older post.
their is a place called the hide house in the city of napa california,they stock all kinds of leather, you can buy whole hides, or pieces. I actually drive the two hours to go pick them out myself. hope this helps.
best regards,thank you for all of your posts, I am still learning. George Wilkins
Old 07-14-2015, 04:21 PM
Registered

Hi all,
I am new to this site. I just wanted to say thank you for having me log in. I was looking at some of your work, very nice. I able in leather, hope to pick up some pointers.

Jim
Old 03-06-2016, 07:17 AM
Guru

Leather Splitters.

Tandy Leather sells a 4 3/4 inch wide leather splitter that will shave the flesh side off the piece you're going to use for a sheath. Unfortunately it is expensive at $300, they have a 6 inch for the outrageous price of $550. To join their Elite club is $200 a year, but if you use enough leather then I guess the savings would be worth it. The Elite price on the deluxe splitter is $385, so you would get a large part of your money back just on that. A 4 3/4 or 6 in. splitter would be OK for knives and a few other things, but not for others. I saw a youtube video of a guy who made saddles and other stuff and he had a roller splitter that appeared to be about at least 2 feet.

If you work in a machine shop like I did you can make your own, it isn't that hard. A guy at work made one and the blade was D2 at Rc 62 that I double tempered with overnight dry ice soaks. My shop had two kilns and all the D2, O1 and 1095 you could want. The only difficulty you might have making it at home is the blade warpage since you only grind one side. Before HT he had me bend the 12" part about 3/16 in the opposite direction of the grind or in this case machined side. After heat treat it was pretty straight and he sent it off to the grind shop and he got a nice straight 8 in section that he cut off and bolted into the frame. I should have taken the 4" part and made one for myself in retrospect it only had a .003 warp in it, about the thickness of my hair when I was young. I made 3 leather cutting chisel heads that I made to set-screw onto some brass round stock. Sold them at Asheville Hardware a fancy wood and tool store. If you live in the area they do have some exotics for handles.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:41 PM
Steel Addict

I can vouch for the Hide House. Great people to deal with. The only issue was the cost to ship a whole hide to NC. Once I figured out we had a great leather supply house within 30 minuets of me I stopped using them. I am a hands on kind of guy and like to touch what I am buying, however the Hide House leather bull hide I bought was excellent quality and tooled very well.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:37 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks guys, gonna check out RJF next time myself as well. I fall into the category of tandy being inconsistent as well. Would you say the prices are comparable?

Tags
apply, back, bee, cold, custom, easy, forge, hardware, holster, knife, knives, leather, leather die, leather tooling, made, ore, post, sale, sheath, sheaths, store, supply, tanning, thickness, walnut