MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Steel Addict

5 Cord Right Twist Linen Thread

Anyone have any experience with this linen thread. On another forum it was referred to as Scotty's. I was looking for right twist 5 cord and cant find the Barbours in the 5 cord right twist.

http://www.zackwhite.com/product.php...8&cat=0&page=1

Last edited by nthe10ring; 02-18-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

You can get Barbour's here......
http://campbell-bosworth.com/catalog...keywords=linen

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:36 PM
Steel Addict

I knew they carried Barbours but only have the 5 cord in Left Twist, perhaps the 5 cord doesn't come in Right Twist. I don't know. I was looking for a Right Twist thread. Thanks for the effort though. Have you had any experience with the thread that I listed in the above post. It doesnt show a name, but in another forum it was listed as Scotty's. Ive never heard of it. One another point I saw where you had mentioned the hungarian thread ( it appears no 5 cord RT there either) and stated it had a harder lay, not quite sure of your meaning, could you elaborate.

Once again thanks,

Jerry Fisher

Last edited by nthe10ring; 02-18-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

A harder lay means the thread is "twisted/wound" tighter - the latest word I had on the Hungarian is there were problems with breakage...

Are you using this on a machine? If not it and you're doing hand stitching then the right or left twist doesn't matter (despite that one person on another forum who said different) since the thread is being used both left and right handed - IF the thread is "loosening" up as you sew then you haven't waxed it properly.........

I have never used Scotty's.....

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the info. I dont use a machine but know they usually use the left twist. I have usued mostly synthetic threads that I split and round to the size I need. Im right handed and had read somewhere that right handers needed right twist thread. Since it was kinda pricey I thought I might as well get right twist. I think Ill just get the LT 5 cord. On another note, you mentioned to me In a past post that you do web site construction. Im leaning in that direction and will give you shout in the near future to discuss the particulars.

Thanks
Jerry Fisher
Old 02-19-2010, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Howdy Jerry -
I've been using left or right twist thread interchangeably for over 40 years and have never noticed any difference.

As for the website work - I'm no longer able to do it, just too busy with leather and knives - about 12 months back ordered right now and have a pending order that will stretch that to at least 16 months.......if I could just clone myself I might get some rest!

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Old 02-25-2010, 05:55 PM

linnen thread

I am assuming from the description that this thread is unwaxed? How and with what do you wax the thread, is the thread drawn over a block of straight bees wax or are there additives in the wax?

Terry
Old 02-25-2010, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

You can use straight beeswax or...........
For waxing I use a 60/40 mix of beeswax and rosin - any good softer type rosin will do - I use the Brewer's Pitch from James Townsend & Sons when I don't collect my own.
Melt the two together - use a double boiler or I use an old crock pot since there's no flame. Once melted pour off into a deep pan of old water and as it cools pinch off pieces about the size of golf balls and set out to finish cooling. The other way is to use foil muffin baking cups - fill half full, let cool, and you have a nice sized chunk to wax with. You can also add a tablespoon of olive, castor, or Neats Foot oil to the melted mix. You can make it stickier by adding more rosin or less sticky by adding more wax.
This mix is a version of what is know as coad, hard wax, or hand wax and was and is used widely by various leather crafter types. The rosin makes the wax stickier and this helps lock the stitches in place (shoemakers who often use various hidden stitches use a quite sticky mix for just that reason) .
The rosin also adds anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties (ala Pine Sol) and last but not least it smells good.
To use - cut a length of thread and pull it through the ball of wax several times until well waxed - then burnish by pulling the waxed thread through a piece of brown paper bag or soft leather several times. Burnishing heats the mix and drives it deeper into the threads. You can also dip the thread in the melted wax if you choose, but for me this makes it too "waxy".

Once you try this mix I'm betting you'll like it - I haven't used plain beeswax in 35+ years after discovering it....

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Old 02-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to sdcb27 Send a message via Yahoo to sdcb27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Burrows View Post
You can use straight beeswax or...........
For waxing I use a 60/40 mix of beeswax and rosin - any good softer type rosin will do - I use the Brewer's Pitch from James Townsend & Sons when I don't collect my own.
Melt the two together - use a double boiler or I use an old crock pot since there's no flame. Once melted pour off into a deep pan of old water and as it cools pinch off pieces about the size of golf balls and set out to finish cooling. The other way is to use foil muffin baking cups - fill half full, let cool, and you have a nice sized chunk to wax with. You can also add a tablespoon of olive, castor, or Neats Foot oil to the melted mix. You can make it stickier by adding more rosin or less sticky by adding more wax.
This mix is a version of what is know as coad, hard wax, or hand wax and was and is used widely by various leather crafter types. The rosin makes the wax stickier and this helps lock the stitches in place (shoemakers who often use various hidden stitches use a quite sticky mix for just that reason) .
The rosin also adds anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties (ala Pine Sol) and last but not least it smells good.
To use - cut a length of thread and pull it through the ball of wax several times until well waxed - then burnish by pulling the waxed thread through a piece of brown paper bag or soft leather several times. Burnishing heats the mix and drives it deeper into the threads. You can also dip the thread in the melted wax if you choose, but for me this makes it too "waxy".

Once you try this mix I'm betting you'll like it - I haven't used plain beeswax in 35+ years after discovering it....
And that my friends is why Chuck is the Worlds greatest unkown leather worker. Thanks for that tip!

http://www.highcountryknives.com
Old 01-11-2017, 03:51 AM
Registered

Hi, I am also looking for Linen, do you think that http://www.rushk.com.au/linen-house will be good to use for home? BTW I am here in Australia now!

Tags
home, knives, software