MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 08-18-2021, 11:25 AM
Registered

WRS Level II hood for pistol holster

First time listener, first time caller:

I have a WRS hood I am seeking to attach to my holster I am making, however I am concerned attaching it will leave the chicago screws/rivets will scratch the finish on the side arm and I am curious how to ensure I leave enough space between them and the sidearm such that the side arm will never touch the side arm.

What are your thoughts?
Old 08-19-2021, 01:19 AM
Super Moderator

Your observation is a good reason to avoid rivets whenever you can.

The simplest way to keep them from scratching is to add a liner to the inside of the holster. That can be a full liner or just a partial one covering the critical part. You can use very thin leather, since it's not for structure, just for cover. I'm assuming that you have a leather holster. For Kydex, it's a bit trickier. I've never tried this, but you could have a double layer of kydex with the WRS piece attached only to the outer one.

Keep in mind the words of a famous holster maker who said that the best way to avoid holster wear on a pistol was to never put the pistol in a holster.

Old 08-26-2021, 06:09 AM

I agree with Texas Jack. Soft thin leather liner can look really classy if done well, giving a professional custom look. You mentioned Chicago screws, was/is your intention to make it removable? If not, glued and stitched carefully can also look fine if done with care. Even better would be to incorporate the hood in the original layout before cutting.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 02-22-2022, 02:48 PM
Registered

Once I also thought about the same thing

Once I also thought about the same thing and started using a soft and thin leather insert for the holster, in order to avoid scratches and sweat on the gun. But then it seemed to me that such a liner looks somehow unprofessional and I decided to change the holster. Using the website https://ballachy.com/best-holster-for-glock-43x / I was able to find an excellent leather holster, which not only fits perfectly, but also fixes the gun well so that it does not hang out. I feel much more confident now.

Tags
ca, custom, finish, first time, gun, holster, how to, kydex, leather, leather holster, make, making, pistol, rivets, scratch, screws, thin