MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:39 PM
Registered

Question Anyone sew leather? Machine recommendations?

Hello! I am sewing leather bags and it is time I upgrade my machine which gives me trouble every time I use it! Any recommendations? I want something that is easy and will handle several layers of leather, at the most 3-4 at a time, I use a softer thinner leather. My budget is around $400 max. I'm thinking to get a Janome HD3000, any thoughts about this option? Thanks!
Old 02-17-2020, 05:37 AM
Steel Addict

I looked at the ad and I would not recommend that type of machine for leather sewing. If you are planning to make leather bags I would try to get my hands on an industrial grade machine, Consew 226r, or a Juki; these are Japanese made machines used in the upholstery business. If you are in or near a metropolitan area you may have an upholstery supply house nearby that might have a used machine for sale. (400-700) Also might check your local shopper guide for a machine. I have been in the upholstery business for over 50 years just to let you know why I recommend an industrial grade machine.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:31 AM

Looks like you might be taxing the limits with the Janome. pcpc's giving some good advice. Plenty of machines claim to be able and might be for the occasional use on leather, but for continuous duty you will have to go with more robust commercial/industrial machines. 400 is going to be on the low end for one of these used.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 02-19-2020, 03:00 PM
Enthusiast

Location: I was born and raised in Spanish Fork, Utah. I now live between Manti and Ephraim, Utah. We built a home here about 10 year ago.
Friend Lora Moser,
I would recommend that you look for an older model Singer leather machine. These are 60 lb. industrial machines that have a roller foot on the bottom and one on the top. Mine was made in the late 1940's or early 50's. The inner parts are still like new and it never misses a stitch. This is not a saddle stitching unit. I use it for making knife scabbards and to sew boots. The side seam on a pair of cowboy boots has a composit of 6 layers of leather and the machine never fails. I use a 4:1 speed reducer which gives the needle a lot more torque.
I have a tippman boss that ha never been of any worth. I have shipped it back to the company 4 times and it still is not right.
The older Singer machines that are normal sized or about 20 lbs, are a good choice for the lighter leather work.

I would recommend you contact a sewing machine dealer that has on elderly worker that might know where to get a heavy machine that is designed for leather. You tube has a lady that makes cowboy boots, Lisa Sorrels. She is an excellent resource and a super fine person.

I wish you well in your search. LP
Old 02-19-2020, 04:59 PM
Steel Addict

I would recommend go to Leatherworker.net. There are sometimes machines for sale but there is also a help forum about machines.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:11 PM

My brother-In-Law and his father were upholsterers doing only extremely expensive designer furniture and the ONLY machine he ever had was a "Juki" and it never broke that I knew of and was built like a tank.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Tags
a, advice, back, bee, easy, for sale, handle, japanese, knife, leather, made, make, making, recommendations, sale, sewing machine, stitch, supply