MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:35 AM
Registered

Send a message via AIM to theelderbrother Send a message via Skype™ to theelderbrother
Spring break shoulder holster advice...

I'd like to make my own shoulder rig for a 1911 Government, and that means a vertical rig. Most of the better vertical shoulder rigs seem to have metal springs that hold the forward seam of the holster, from the point just below the trigger guard to the muzzle, closed without any stitching.

The best example I can find is Sam Andrews' rig, but I've searched high and low without any luck trying to find an email address for him. But here, I've now found you all, so I hope someone out there will be able to offer some guidance about how to best approach building this metal spring break.

Any advice or images would be tremendously appreciated!

All the best,

George
Old 07-17-2015, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome George!
I've built a ton of shoulder holsters over the years, but never have built the type with the spring. I don't normally carry with a shoulder holster with my 1911 or 1911 Commander, but when I do I use the horizontal type with a thumb break and a couple of mags under the opposite arm help with the balance a la Sonny on the old Miami Vice. You can see a bunch of this type here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=hori...w=1024&bih=454

If you don't have a lot of luck in your quest here I'd recommend checking out the Leatherworker forum where a bunch of holster makers visit
http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php

Also I do have buried somewhere in my plethora of to do projects an older well made holster of the type you're looking to make without the straps which would be easy to figure out and even replace. If you have no luck finding help drop me a note via the forum or email and I'd be glad to send it to you (as soon as I find it!) - might as well somebody got use out of it...

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.

Tags
911, advice, building, comma, easy, guard, holster, holsters, how to, leather, leather die, leather tooling, made, make, makers, metal, sheath, tanning