MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 12-20-2002, 10:38 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
The most impressive Wild Rose---

I have been in the leather crafts business for a great length of time and have never seen or met anyone quite like Wild Rose (aka) Chuck Burrows. His written descriptions or tutorials on any facet of sheathmaking are so finessed as to almost give visual properties to them. It is a pleasure to read any info that he so generously extends to all and any that request same. His love of what he does so well is readily apparent in his writings. I would like to see his wisdom set between the covers of a reference book on leathercraft. Sandy
Old 12-20-2002, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

Sandy-
You make my head swell and it's big enough already!
I have been considering such a project but need to get all my eggs in one basket first. Don't know much about the publishing business so I have to look into it further so that I can get an end product that I would be proud to put my name on.

I often laugh such praise off with the old line, "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance than baffle them with BS." Well when it comes to leather work there is no BS. It's all been learned the hard way. It may not be the only way, or the best way for anybody else, but it works for me and I can only hope that it helps and perhaps inspires others.

On that note here's one just for you mi amigo

This one has a lot of bells and whistles in regards to technique on both the sheath and grip: hidden stitching, lots of skiving and molding, etc.

Humbly yours-
Chuck

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.

Last edited by Chuck Burrows; 12-21-2002 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:19 AM

I've been caught up in knifemaking for less than a year with most of my energy focused so far on learning how to make folders and with particular attention to embellishments...there is so much to learn! So as not to be too distracted, I've been trying to zero in on just a couple of things at one time...

I have yet to make a fixed blade other than a fancy carving knife...no sheath required...and I guess I hadn't given much thought yet to making sheaths for my folders. Consequently I haven't stopped in here very often.

I now want to kick myself for what I've been missing! If this is an indication...WOW! As I'm in love with all forms of embellishment (especially filework), with all the goodies offered on this wonderful piece, I could really get sucked in...easy! (I'm especially "psyched" by that embossing...exquisite!)

I can safely say, I'll be back for more...

Dennis

Yeah Baby!
Old 12-21-2002, 10:57 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to PrattBard Send a message via AIM to PrattBard Send a message via Yahoo to PrattBard
DrooooL

Dang, I'll never get that good! That is a true gift to beable to do that! WOW

Lara
Old 12-21-2002, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Pratt-
It's mostly time and LOTS of practice. (I still make lots of mistakes-like most makers of anything I have big scrap bin)

Dennis-
I would love to see what you would do in leather. If it is anywhere near as good as your exquisite file work I might as well close up shop! Here's a pic of one I did for Dan Gray bowie. I took the engraving pattern off the knife and adapted it ti the sheath.
This one is carved rather than embossed like the jambiyah sheath. Dan had some pro pics made so hopefully I'll get a better shot of this one before too long

I'm going to post some more pics of the jambiyah before too long, showing some of the details.

Chuck

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 12-21-2002, 06:04 PM
Guru

I agree with Sandy, Chuck is a most talented individual and his willingness to share is very welcome.Thanks Chuck,Dave
Old 12-21-2002, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Dave thanks. I just hope I can inspire other folks to try this wonderful craft out. BTW I posted some pics over on the new forum that you got started (how's it to be the "father"?).
Now let's see some of your fine work.

Chuck

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Old 02-27-2013, 10:26 AM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
It has now been a little over ten years since this post was started. Seems as though it were just yesterday!

I am still destroying cowhide on a daily basis and have somehow managed to go from 80 to 90 without shifting gears.

Chuck is still the master of his craft (and will remain so, forever) and has produced tutorial videos that are without peer. His knowledge and willingness to share will continue to be an inspiration to we who work with leather.

The Jambilya shown by Chuck is now in my possession and has been for a number of years, a gift from a man I admire and a testimonial to his skills.

Dave Cole, talented and kindly man, has answered a greater call, gone but not forgotten!

Sandy Morrissey

Last edited by Sandy Morrissey; 02-27-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:00 AM
Banned

I just hope I can inspire other folks to try this wonderful craft out. BTW I posted some pics over on the new forum that you got started (how's it to be the "father"?).
Now let's see some of your fine work.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:12 PM
Registered

I've had the pleasure to call two Masters of my craft friends,Chuck Burrow's and Ken Scott. I talked to Chuck about a month ago. I have a hankerin' for another of his sheaths.

I do hope he's feeling better,his health ain't what it used to be,neither is mine or anyone who is thirty years older than they were thirty years ago(?)! He is such a pleasure to talk to on the phone. If you do get ahold of him,block out a lot of time! He likes to talk and unlike so many,he is a fabulous story teller and will answer ANY question you have,all with a smile!

He truly is a treasure.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

I spoke with Chuck a couple weeks ago. He seems to be doing better, but, yeah, his health is pretty fragile. I can't tell you how many times his leatherworking advice has put me back on the right path. His DVDs improved a lot of people's work.

I have a stamp Sandy made for me. He's another guy that's helped quite a few people around here. I wish we had a page devoted to the stuff these two guys have made, just to inspire future makers.

Tags
advice, back, bee, blade, block, craft, fixed blade, hunting knife, knife, knives, leather, made, makers, post, sheaths, tutorial