MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Skilled

Kydex Gun Holsters for EDC

This is my first thread, so bear with me! I really enjoy reading up on the things you guys are doing, so I figured some of you might like to take a look at the stuff I've been making. Here goes.The photo's below are of a holster I recently finished for a customer.

This one is for a Taurus Judge, Public Defender model revolver. (.410ga/.45 long Colt.) it has a polymer frame and barrel, and I think it's a pretty neat model. It's light, but packs a wallup.

It's a right hand draw with a large Blade Tech belt slide mounting fixture. I made the body out of .080 thick black Kydex. I bought a KMG 2x72 Grinder from Rob last year and boy does it make quick work of shaping! I Absolutely Love it.

I've found it really stabilizes the thing to add a support plate to the flap beneath the mounting fixture, and attach it to two points along the edges of the thing. So I've been using the carbon fiber printed .08 thick Holstex to add a little character to it. It's held on by two chicago screws, and secured under the mounting fixture with the Blade Tech mounting screws. You should be able to see the plate under the belt slide on the last picture. (Thanks Knifekits.com for materials! Good Stuff)

I was calling this holster The Public Defenders Defense...lol

I know there are a lot of guys who make some great holsters out there, and my goal is to improve the function of my designs, while not breaking the bank for my customers. I've found a cool little niche in making holsters for not so common guns. My holster sales feeds my knife making habit...That being said, I take holster making very seriously, they need to be right. Period. lives depend on it. I carry as part of my career, and it's important to have a holster that won't pinch, and holds the gun ready for a shooting grip when you grab it the first time. (I also just think it's cool to make stuff that works!)

So if you want to tell me what you think! Thanks for your time and Stay safe - AT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0342 (1024x1008) (800x788).jpg (197.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0343 (640x480).jpg (125.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0344 (1024x799) (800x624).jpg (168.1 KB, 52 views)

"We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends." Shel Silverstein

Last edited by ATalley; 06-10-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:19 PM
Steel Addict

Looks great man! My father just bought a public defender last year. He hasn't found a holster he likes for it. Do you have a website? I'd like to get one for him. Your craftsmanship is great.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:11 AM
Steel Addict

Great work man, looks really solid, do you do IWB holsters as well? I know I've done some with leather backing and kydex for the front, have had a lot of good feedback and I love the one I use for my 1911.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:31 AM
Skilled

Thanks for the kind words, I don't have a webiste. (I bought a domain name once, and didn't get it up and running before GoDaddy wanted more money...so I let it go) Naboyle, I'll give you me phone number and you can call me if you'd like. I'd love to make another one.

Wynn, sounds cool, I'd like to see it (got a picture?). How did you attach the leather?

I do have a IWB that folks seem to really like. It's all Kydex, I make a single J-hook out of .125 (it's the brown digi camo one with a Glock 19 in it). A neat thing about it is, that the Kydex allows for the gun to be re-holstered without the mouth collapsing by the tension of your pants belt.(darn near as easily as a duty belt holster) It also allows for a shirt to be tucked in for concealment. (K.I.S.S. right...)

Do you know what glue, and a process for gluing suede leather or felt to the inside of a holster? I haven't had very good results with my attempts. (of course i haven't called Knifekits yet either!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-04-12_21-04-41_157 - Copy (734x1024).jpg (142.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0348 (2) (1024x676) (1024x676).jpg (221.2 KB, 24 views)

Old 06-10-2013, 07:06 AM
Steel Addict

Here's what I've been doing that I've had really good results from (this was my first one that I made for myself, They are a bit more refined now). The leather and kydex are riveted together, and I also use hooks that are attached at the bottom then the belt runs on top of the clip (j hook design) so you can tuck a shirt in and the only thing visible on this design is the small tab at the bottom that grabs the belt to prevent it from being pulled out. Also on most holsters I make a couple holes that the clips can attach with column type screws so the height and cant can be adjusted. I've carried this one countless hours for the past year or two and it is super comfy and just kind of disappears in the waste band. It allows the gun to have that "click in" kydex operation but has the comfort of leather against you instead of kydex.

20120821205848.jpg

As far as a liner for a holster I think in most cases people who use a gun as a EDC realize that the gun is going to get worn if you carry it, I know this was a little tough for me when I bought my Kimber, I hated the thought of marring it (as well did my wallet). But I figured I bought the thing to protect myself and use, not to sit on a shelf and look pristine.

But if I were to go about lining a holster I would make sure there is some kind of mechanical attachment. I would think sewing it along the edges would be a good route to go, but use a heavy duty thread that you would use for knife sheaths or something would work. Maybe a good contact adhesive as well to keep the whole of it where it should be

Last edited by WynnKnives; 06-10-2013 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:42 PM
Skilled

Sorry its taken me so long to reply to your post Wynn....Nice job on the dual material IWB. It looks comfortable. I've been making a fold over design IWB that has a single J hook attached at the bottom (end of the barrel) makes it so it can shift and ride with your movement, but still provide the resistance in the right direction for a proper draw. I like the kydex as it allows for the gun to be re-holstered easily. I'll add a pic when I take a decent one.

I agree with you that a lining needs a mechanical attachment, and an adhesive to keep it from shifting. was thinking that stitching while the kydex is warm or hot would allow for a needle to be pushed through and minimize the sharp edges on the holes, but working time would be thin... So I procrastinate and only think about it...I suppose using a heat gun to warm a small area as you stitch would be one, time consuming, way to go about it.

We'll see what happens

Oh yeah, good job on buying the Kimber, good looks and smooth operation. Only thing better than that would be a glock (minus the good looks part)

Old 07-21-2013, 09:30 AM
Registered

I've been looking for something similar for my Public Defender Polymer. How close to the body does it hold the gun? And can you make one with some sort of thumb break?
Old 07-23-2013, 08:19 PM
Skilled

Hello spool, I suppose the distance the handle is from the belt would be between 1" to 1 1/4". As I've delivered the holster to my client, I can't measure it, but the distance on my Glock holster is just a bit shy of 1". The cylinder of the revolver pushes it out a bit more.

That cylinder also provides a convenient tension point, so the mounting flap has a compound fold that can be adjusted to the desired resistance. (Which has a range of falling out when tipped to not coming out at all!)

As far as a retention strap....I suppose I could....never made one before!

Old 03-23-2015, 05:38 AM

Very nice holster!
Old 03-23-2015, 06:29 AM
Skilled

Thanks Even!

Tags
2x72, bee, blade, boltaron, common, concealex, hand, holster, holsters, holstex, injection molding, knife, knife making, knifekits.com, kydex, leather, made, make, making, man, materials, molding, sheaths, thermoform