MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:00 AM
Skilled

liner lock unlocking issue?

Got two liner locks I built awhile ago, and both locked up bank vault tight when finished and for a while after. Now both will unlock with just a bit of pressure on the spine. Lock bevel is ground to 7 1/2 deg, liners are ti, blade steel is CPM 154.

I'm thinking of going to a "failsafe" lock cut, and maybe adding an additional safety like on the Gerber Fairbain folding dagger.

Any idea why the lock is suddenly releasing and any idea of where to get .020 stainless sheet?

Thanks

Old 06-01-2015, 07:13 AM

Hi Will
got no answers for you But do have the same issue with 2 I have done ,mine have SS liners I would be keen to see what a Failsafe lock cut looks like or the safety like on a auto ( don?t get auto?s down here in AUS something about them being dangerous bla bla bla ) I think that the tang of the blade has rounded the lock on mine as the lock wasn't HT I will take it a part soon and have a good look at it .
I will be interested at the out come of any results you find .

Lee
Old 06-01-2015, 11:17 AM
Skilled

The fail safe is basically a hollow grind on the lock face where the leading edge is just a bit higher, then shallow and then ramps up, if I'm explaining it correctly. Also thinking of adding a thin metal safety likes on the Gerber Fairbain dagger.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:17 AM
Master

Sounds like either the Ti lock has lost its bend or the stop pin has either eaten into the blade tang area or warn/moved from its original hole position. I would say that it is the lock itself. What it the thickness of the liners and the thickness of the blade.
Curtis

Old 08-01-2015, 08:42 AM
Hall of Famer

Curtis, where in the world have you been?
Old 05-07-2016, 09:11 PM
Registered

I've been making frame locks for a few months. I think there are 2 possibilities, one is the edge of the tang maybe grounded too much. It's needed to be ground to give the detent ball a smooth riding, but too much will weaken the lock. The second I think maybe the tension of the lock is too weak.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:05 PM
Skilled

I shortened the lock bar length just a bit, seems to be working so far. I won't know until for sure until I carry one on a rig again for a while.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:42 AM
Registered

I had too faced this issue. It was a buck knife. I don't remember but I think I found it on a folding knife. However, they replaced the piece.

Tags
auto, ball, bee, bevel, blade, buck, dagger, detent, edge, folding, folding dagger, folding knife, grind, hollow grind, knife, liner lock, lock, making, metal, stainless, steel, tang, thickness