MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:20 AM
Steel Addict

Folder design help

I just finished up my first folder and I had some issues I sure would like some help with.
-Designing the tang on the blade. I had a heck of a time getting the curve on the tang . Do I really need to make this curved or can it be more blocky?
-Any recommendations on how to center the pivot hole in the knife blade?
-The spring I think was too thin. Is there a given thickness that a spring should be?
-My handle/liners did not come out great. I first cut out the liners and then cut out the scales and glued them together. I think I should have cut out the liners, drilled my holes and then glued a roughed in scale on them. Driller the scale holes last. Any help here is appreciated.
-lining up the holes in the spring to the liners. This was a mess. What is the trick on drilling the holes. What is first?
-My blade at final grind was a little wavy at the end. I am using a 1x30 grinder so I know it may not be the best to use. I think this will come with practice.

Would anyone be willing to share a print of a folder they have? I designed this one from my head and Im thinking a print already that works may get my confidence back,
Old 08-28-2014, 01:08 PM
Steel Addict

Tim can you post a pick of your pattern so we can help with what you have?

Erik
Old 08-28-2014, 01:15 PM
Steel Addict

I can show you the finish part, I went way off my original design. The knife is all buttoned up and peened.

Forgot to add that I did not put a stop pin in. Just could not get the holes to line up. I guess I should have drilled both liners/handles together at one time.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Folders are the one type of knife that I consider making a pattern a requirement.....the hold "trick" to folders is the "triangle".....meaning the pivot, lock, and stop pin (for a liner lock or "flipper" style folder). I start with the open geometry, then the closed geometry, and once those two are correct, work out any "bugs" in the "arc or travel".

Try drawing out a design, then make it in thin plexiglass....that way you can see how everything is going to function. Once you get everything working in the plexiglass model/pattern, use that to pattern the real folder. The big difference between straight knives and folders......with straight knives you're dealing with fractions of an inch.....but with folders you're dealing in frations of thousandths. Just takes some adjusting to, but once you pick it up, you'll find that it will lead to better straight knives too!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 09-05-2014, 10:36 AM
Steel Addict

Sorry all, had some medical issues come up this past week and was not able to get photos. Ill try and grab some later. When I post them I sure would like some help on the design issues I had.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:15 PM
Steel Addict

I give up I cant figure how to use photbucket on this forum

Last edited by remist17; 09-24-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:29 PM
Hall of Famer

Can't see 'em.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:54 AM
Steel Addict

New photos posted. They look terrible and kinda ashamed
Old 09-24-2014, 02:42 PM
Steel Addict

Tim stop dogging yourself. You are already ahead of a lot of guys by getting the folder done and not giving up. Is it a totally flawless folder, no. But you have learned a lot and the next one will be better. Take it out and start using it and testing it. See what parts you like and what you want to change on the next one.

Remember your having fun😃

Erik

Tags
art, back, blade, design, folder, grind, grinder, handle, handles, how to, knife, knife blade, knives, liner lock, lock, make, pattern, pivot, post, scales, tang, thickness